on behalf of FASM team:
OK, let me first explain what we were doing with QEBS5.0
Basically every movie was released in three resolutions, each aiming for different target
1. FASM 540p releases have display resolution 960x540 and have SEMISTEREO sound.
They are targeted for modern smartphones and IPAD, so they have the resolution
close to their native screen resolution and are very small to fit into those
devices memory. We can find also some reason for people who are looking ultra
small size encodes. For most movies the target range is somewhere around 400MiB
but the quality will be better than you expect it to be at this size...
2. FASM 720p releases have display resolution 1280x720 and have special HRTF
transformed STEREO sound converted from 5.1 BluRay source.Just imagine the file
which is small enough, have great quality, which you can play on multiple devices
from smartphones to large TVs directly, without the need to using some special
converting software. If you can imagine that you have the idea of whats offering
you FASM 720p RIP.
3.FASM 1080p releases have display resolution 1920x1080 and have 5.1 AAC sound.
Their size may vary but they are always smaller than 4GiB. The idea behind this
is to be able to store them on FAT32 formatted pendrives, hard disk, because some
devices like PS3 dont recognise other file formats.
We have just finished the brand new QEBS6 engine which has even better quality (more details preserved, less quantisation errors) at similar bitrate than QEBS5. In fact we can have similar or a tiny bit worse level of quality using 60-70% of size of QEBS5 encodes, but you need to understand one thing. The main goal of FASM was, is and will be quality/size ratio, so small quality loss is acceptable if it means huge size reduction. Now with QEBS6 we are thinking about modification of our types of releases.
1. 396p - (Cowboys and Aliens 2:15h movie takes 366MiB) resolution 704x288 using MPEG4 AVC HIGH PROFILE LEVEL 2.1. Well some very basic android phones with display resolution like 480x270 does not want to play 540p encodes for some reason, but in theory this should work. (feedback please). This size level would also make it world smallest encode of this movie with one of the best quality for >700MB size and DVD resolution. The screenshots you can see here
Do you think we should tag them as DVDRip, coz this might be something people are looking for?
2. 720p - Cowboys and Aliens 2:15h movie takes 0.9GiB which is lower than 1.25GiB of former QEBS5 encode, hence those encodes would be a bit larger in size than QEBS5 540p but having 720p resolution and being one of the worlds smallest 720p encodes. Also we would tag them as BDRip coz some people said that this is what most audience (in this size level) is looking for.
The screenshots you can see here:
3. 1080p - well we can increase a size by 5% by adding more quality, or shrink the size to 60-70% 1080p QEBS encodes by having somewhat similar perceptable quality level. The first option is presented here:
Will you help?