View Torrent Info: Underworld - Blood.Wars.2016.BluRay.720p.DTS.AC3.x264-ETRG
View Torrent Info: Cars.2006.720p.BluRay.x264.AAC-ETRG
View Torrent Info: Sing.2016.BluRay.720p.DTS.AC3.x264-ETRG
Hot torrents
BluRay, 4k UHD
View Torrent Info: Vengeance A Love Story 2017 BluRay 1080p x264 DTSHD 5.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: Monster.Trucks.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264-DRONES[EtHD]
View Torrent Info: Hidden Figures 2016 Multi 1080p BluRay x264 DTSHD 7.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: Passengers 2016 Multi UHD BluRay 2160p HEVC HDR10 DTSHD 5.1 -DDR
Hot torrents
Television
View Torrent Info: Arrow.S05E18.HDTV.x264-LOL[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Survivor.S34E04.HDTV.x264-CROOKS[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Blindspot.S02E17.HDTV.x264-LOL[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Designated.Survivor.S01E14.HDTV.x264-LOL[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Happy New Year 2014 HQ 1080p BluRay x264 DTSHD 5.1 ESub -DDR
View Torrent Info: Hidden Figures 2016 1080p HDLight Urdu DDS 5.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: Ambuli (2012) x264 720p HDRiP {Dual Audio} [Hindi ORG DD 2.0   Telugu 2.0] Exclusive By DREDD
View Torrent Info: Running Shaadi (2017) DVDRIP 1CDRIP x264 AAC ESub [DDR]
30s
Chat
To add new messages please Login or Register for FREE
Warning! Protect Yourself from Lawsuits and Fines!
Your IP Address is 54.161.161.92.   Location is United States
Your IP Address is visible to EVERYONE. Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN while torrenting!
ExtraTorrent strongly recommends using Trust.Zone VPN to anonymize your torrenting. It's FREE!
Hide my IP address!

The Pirate Gazette (closed)

[Prev]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 46, 47  [Next]
Page 20 of 47   [ 691 posts ]
AuthorMessage
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 17:18
Author: Turtle
Hi Daz & ange and hi everybody ! wGHkwn3.gif And between you & I ange, I wished that I had more time to go to the concerts as well..

So I do hope that you all had a great relaxing Sunday and that Monday isn't too bad so far ? I didn't spot anything that appealing today until now in fact, a few minutes ago, I actually can't judge that documentary because I haven't screened it entirely yet so .. Anyways, that's my first article and I do have a short one about Tilda Swinton talking briefly about her last character in "A Bigger Splash". I'll add a few pics and a few trailers. Let's go !

QFD3jbvl.jpg

(Students hold a banner reading ‘Open Stellenbosch’ during a protest on 1 September against allegations of racism on campus brought to light by Luister Photograph: Rodger Bosch).

Luister: the viral film exposing South Africa's ongoing racism problem
Documentary featuring black students recounting their experiences of racial discrimination has ignited a national conversation, Daily Maverick reports

“I feel like it’s wrong to be black,” a student says as Luister begins. “I sometimes ask myself when I’m alone, why did God make me black when a lot can happen in a good way when you’re otherwise?”

Made in just 17 days, , Luister (meaning “listen” in Afrikaans) is made up of interviews with 32 students and one lecturer at the prestigious Stellenbosch University, detailing their experiences of racist abuse, discrimination and exclusion.

Since its release on 20 August, the 35-minute documentary has been watched more than 290,000 times on YouTube, trended on social media across South Africa, and is now spreading. It has elicited statements from the university, along with comments from South Africa’s major political parties.

It all started when Dan Corder, a literature student at the University of Cape Town, discovered his friend faced disciplinary charges for participating in a protest led by the Open Stellenbosch, student movement against their university’s language policy which they say clearly favours Afrikaans speakers.

Corder was disturbed by this attempt to clamp down on student dissent, and that night went to Stellenbosch campus to ask black students to write down their experiences of racism at the university. Corder, who is white, was shocked when he read through the responses, and says he became aware of how desensitised the students had become to discriminatory treatment.

Along with this collaborators, a small production company called Contraband Cape Town, Corder wanted to record the responses to one question: “What is it like to be a black person at Stellenbosch University?”

All 32 student interviews were filmed over six hours on 2 August.

One of the students on film says: “The colour of my skin in Stellenbosch is like a social burden... I mean just walking into spaces, there’s that stop, pause, and stare where people cannot believe that you would enter into this space.”

Being black within the Stellenbosch community you know that you’re not accepted and you kind of ask yourself what’s wrong with me, like what did I do wrong?” says another. “In the beginning I actually started to assimilate, you know, wanting to lose myself and attain whiteness. Maybe this will work better and they’ll accept me more because I’m trying to be like them. And I realised that I cannot do that. I’m not willing to sell my soul to whiteness. I have to be proudly black.

Stellenbosch is known as a bastion of white, Afrikaner culture in the new South Africa. Its university produced many leaders of the National Party, the architects of apartheid.

Impact
The night before it was released, the Contraband team screened Luister for the Open Stellenbosch student movement. Watching themselves, the students emphasised that this was their daily reality. “For us it was in a sense almost normalised,” Open Stellenbosch’s Mohammed Shabangu said on watching it for the first time.

The group’s Majaletje Mathume said he was aware of the issues to some extent, but as an insider was partly desensitised.

After Luister trended on social media, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) denounced the university, calling it an “erstwhile laager of white supremacy” that had failed to provide leadership on social transformation.

Stellenbosch University vice-chancellor Wim de Villiers said it’s sad that some students are exposed to racism and discrimination: “However, to insinuate that the university is not serious about transformation, that it turns a blind eye to flagrant racism or that it in some sense advocates or maintains a culture of apartheid at the university, is simply not true and cannot go unchallenged.

He was later challenged on that claim at a parliament meeting last week.

Shabangu says he’s happy about the attention Luister has brought to the issue, but questions why racial discrimination in Stellenbosch has been allowed to continue 21 years into democracy. “The political parties that have shown their concern and have addressed it still need to answer the question as to why they’ve allowed this space to fly under the radar for 21 years,” he said, adding that with crude racism many claimed to be experiencing was reminiscent of the 1970s.

Shabangu explained that Stellenbosch now faces an invigorated social movement demanding transformation, similar to the ones that have sprung up in recent months at the University of Cape Town, Rhodes University and the University of the Witwatersrand..

Open Stellenbosch is also working with other documentary makers looking at the conditions in the area and is using the current media attention to push its demands. In a press release sent through a publicist on 1 September, the group said it wants all classes to be available in English and an emergency council meeting to be organised focusing on transformation. “As the testimonies in Luister demonstrate, the culture of apartheid is alive and well in Stellenbosch, both in the town and the university,” the statement reads.

Mathume, who was featured in the film, thanked those who have taken an interest and called on the rest of the country to support their cause.

Something must happen [now]. There can’t be any other way,” he says.

lAZf6tjl.jpg

Tilda Swinton: my Bigger Splash character doesn't speak because I had nothing to say
British actor plays singer with no voice in her latest collaboration with I Am Love director Luca Guadagnino, alongside Ralph Fiennes

Tilda Swinton revealed that the virtually silent character she plays in A Bigger Splash was conceived as a response to “a moment in my life I didn’t want to say anything”. The actor was speaking to journalists at the Venice film festival as the film – directed by Italian film-maker Luca Guadagnino and shot on the Sicilian island of Pantelleria – received its world premiere.

In A Bigger Splash, Swinton plays a singer unable to speak after an operation on her vocal cords, and said that the idea was one she had after long deliberation with Guadagnino, with whom she has collaborated a number of times before, most notably the 2009 feature I Am Love. “I knew he was preparing this film and I wasn’t going to be a part if it – I didn’t want to make a film the year he was making it. But as things happened, plans were changed and he came to me quite late in the day. It was a moment in my life I really didn’t want to say anything – but I figured if it was possible for me to take part in this scenario, the one thing that came to mind was: I could come if i don’t have to speak.”

All the characters in the film are fighting the fact that none of us can communicate with each other, with words or anything else. It’s a really tricky business, communication.”

A Bigger Splash is a remake of the 1969 film La Piscine, which starred Alain Delon, Romy Schneider, Jane Birkin and Maurice Ronet, a four-way study of sexual jealousy and intrigue. Alongside Swinton, Guadagnino cast Matthias Schoenaerts, Dakota Johnson and Ralph Fiennes – who has a spectacular extended scene dancing wildly to the Rolling Stones’ Emotional Rescue. Saying “I had never been asked to do anything like that before”, Fiennes revealed he has spent days practising for the scene by dancing on a roof with the song on his iPod.

The film received some boos at its press screening, apparently because some in the audience took offence at the portrayal of a Sicilian police detective as an insensitive, somewhat clownish figure. Guadagnino defended his film by saying “it is not a question of parodywhile comparing the film’s comic tone to Verdi’s “opera bouffe” Falstaff; Guadagnino also praised the “sublime greatness” of the actor who played the role, celebrated political satirist Corrado Guzzanti.

A Bigger Splash, which Guadagnino said was named after the David Hockney painting that “helped me understand art”, also touches on the refugee crisis currently gripping Europe, with shots of a just-visible Tunisia on the horizon some 60km away, and the presence on the island of refugees a reminder that Italy has been at the frontline of the crisis for some years. Guadagnino said that Pantelleria was “a sort of border place” and that bringing the refugees into his story was a way of forcing his characters to “confront reality” and “understand who they really are”.

To considerable applause, Swinton asked reporters: “Can we get out of the habit calling people in this situation migrants; they are war refugees.

A Bigger Splash : The vacation of a famous rock star and a filmmaker is disrupted by the unexpected visit of an old friend and his daughter. Director: Luca Guadagnino, Writers: David Kajganich (screenplay), Alain Page (story), Cast: Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts, Ralph Fiennes, 2015, Drama.

PDC56h4l.jpg

Space
The tropical storm Grace over the far-eastern Atlantic, as seen from the International Space Station

Photograph: Scott Kelly

ZDzhKsfl.jpg

Aiguebelette-le-Lac, France
A crew warms up before the world rowing championships
. Photograph: Jeff Pachoud

Just Jim: A Welsh teenager will become the cool kid of the town if a deal is made with his new American neighbour. Director: Craig Roberts, Writer: Craig Roberts, Cast: Emile Hirsch, Craig Roberts, Richard Harrington, 2015, Comedy.

Equals: A futuristic love story set in a world where emotions have been eradicated. Director: Drake Doremus, Writer: Nathan Parker, Cast: Nicholas Hoult, Kristen Stewart, Bel Powley, 2015, Sci-Fi.

Wishing you all a great Monday, morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 17:19
Hi everybody gHdOO4Y.gif So what's up in the world um.. I was actually going to talk about some virus found in Siberia called Pithovirus sibericum but realized that it was all over the news in 2014... So, instead of that virus, I'll talk to you about that dictator .. A little bit of history and you'll have the portrait of Emily Browning afterwards, and I don't have many pics nor trailers today I'm afraid .. Hopefully tomorrow, so let's go !

IpCzQRgl.jpg

Chad's Hissène Habré carried into court as war crimes trial resumes in Dakar
Former dictator is forcibly brought to court as landmark trial for alleged war crimes, crimes against humanity and torture restarts in Senegal

The trial of former Chadian leader Hissène Habré resumed on Monday in the Senegalese capital, Dakar, amid dramatic scenes that saw the accused carried into court and held down by masked security agents. Forcibly restrained, Habré, who is charged with war crimes, crimes against humanity and torture during his rule from 1982 to 1990, repeatedly shouted “Shut up!” as the judge read out a list of names of his alleged victims.

Despite the difficult start, proceedings resumed in the afternoon and charges against Habré were read out.

Habré, 72, is accused of presiding over a network of secret police known as the DDS (Direction de la Documentation et de la Sécurité), which serially tortured and disappeared political opponents during his eight-year rule. Investigations by a Chadian truth and reconciliation commission found evidence that there may have been up to 40,000 victims.

The landmark trial opened in July amid similarly chaotic scenes, with Habré initially refusing to appear and then dismissing his defence team. At the time, the presiding judge, Gberdao Gustave Kam of Burkina Faso, announced an adjournment to allow a court-appointed defence team time to prepare. Speaking today, however, one of the appointed lawyers, Mounir Ballal, said Habré had refused to see or even communicate with them during the adjournment.

Nevertheless, the case appears to be going ahead. “The court made it clear today that it is fed up with Hissène Habré’s antics and that it’s now time to get down to business,” said Reed Brody, counsel for Human Rights Watch, which has been supporting victims’ groups since 1999. “He can make all the noise he wants, but he doesn’t get to decide whether he should be tried or if the victims get justice.”

The long battle to bring Habré to justice has been led by victims’ groups, which collected and documented cases of abuse. Despite Habré’s indictment by a Senegalese judge in 2000 – he fled into exile in Dakar in 1990 – Senegal’s former government did little to bring Habré to trial.

Several attempts to extradite him to Belgium also failed, but in 2012 after the election of new Senegalese president Macky Sall, it was announced that a new court – the Extraordinary African Chambers – was being established by the AU (African Union) in order to try Habré.

The court has been specially created within the Senegalese justice system. It is the first time that the courts of one African country have tried the former leader of another.

Habré refuses to recognise the court and denies the charges against him.

5bKYYd0l.jpg

Emily Browning: ‘Hollywood movies are made for white men’
The Australian star explains why playing Reggie Kray’s defiant wife Frances in crime biopic Legend makes a happy change from playing the ‘the hot babe’

As gritty roles for young female actors go, the chance to play Frances Shea, the doomed young bride of Kray twin Reggie, is up there with Karen Hill in Goodfellas and Eady in Heat. In the new Krays biopic Legend, Emily Browning’s Shea is not only pitted against Tom Hardy, who plays both gangsters, but is also the film’s narrator and moral centre. You see the brothers’ brutality through her eyes – and when she suffers, you suffer too.

Browning, though, seems at first an unlikely gangster’s moll. “I had never heard of the Krays before I got the part,” the 26-year-old Melbourne native says on the phone from her adopted home in Los Angeles. Shea, who married Reggie Kray in 1965 after he pursued her throughout her teenage years, left him eight months later and killed herself in 1967 (or, according to unofficial reports, was murdered by Ronnie), was therefore a total enigma. But Browning took advantage of the mystery, interpreting the character to be more instinctual than calculating. “There wasn’t much out there I felt I could trust,” says Browning of researching for the role. “And I kind of loved that; I really don’t intellectualise acting too much. It allowed me to shape Shea for myself.”

The actor did, however, go to an auction house in east London and manage to acquire the handwritten letters Frances sent to Reggie when he was serving time in prison. What she found in them showed the true complexity of their relationship. “She talked about missing him, about how much she loved him, with a lot of feeling,” Browning explains. “And then, when the relationship was going south, she was so acid-tongued, she just tore him apart. I developed a lot of respect for her.

Not everyone is convinced by Browning’s Shea, least of all Shea’s real-life niece, who has described feeling “mortified” by Browning’s performance (Browning sounds “common as muck” and looks “like a little two-bit trollope,” she told the Daily Express). But Browning’s performance succeeds because she is adept at playing characters that hover between bravery and vulnerability. In Zack Snyder’s cartoonishly violent Sucker Punch, she played Babydoll, a doe-eyed girl who looks like she’s made of china but has the steely determination to lead an escape plot from her mental institution. Or there’s her role as Eve in Belle & Sebastian musical God Help The Girl, whose obsession with pop music is coupled with a severe eating disorder.

“I’ve made my career playing fragile people because I can relate to it,” says Browning. “I’m plagued by constant anxiety.” That anxiety, she says, is part of the reason she does what she does. “It’s this nagging, buzzing little thing in my head,” she continues. “I learned a word the other day – metacognition – which is to have awareness and understanding of your own thought process. Sometimes, I think about what I’m thinking about on this constant loop until I feel like my brain is eating itself. If I sit still for too long, that’s what it feels like; falling into a black hole in my own mind. When I’m in front of the camera, that’s the only time I really get a release. I’m just there.”

It’s fair to say that Browning’s career has been stop-start so far. She spent her teenage years appearing in Australian TV movies, daytime soaps and children’s programmes and, at 14, won the part of Violet Baudelaire in the short-lived Hollywood franchise Lemony Snicket’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events. It meant leaving Melbourne to live in Los Angeles for nine months. She hated it.

I saw a world I didn’t want to be part of,” she says carefully. “I was hanging out with kids who had never been to school, who only knew the film industry, and it freaked me out. I had certain people who were telling me, if I was lucky, I could be the star of a Nickelodeon show. I thought, ‘No, I can’t do this. I need to get out of here.’ And for a while, I thought I didn’t want to be an actress. That it had been fun for a bit, but it’s not for me.”

Browning returned home and finished high school before deciding to give acting a go again. Her career since then has not been without false starts, often playing the fantasy babe or heroine of the historical disaster melodrama, as in Paul Anderson’s soapy Pompeii opposite Kit Harington. But for every misstep, there’s been an interesting left turn, such as the ambiguous, strange and sexually explicit Sleeping Beauty, in which she plays a lonesome student who becomes deeply involved in high-end sex work. Or her supporting role in Magic Magic, the low-budget exploration of a mental breakdown. It’s these parts, she says, that keep her in an industry about which she often feels ambivalent.

I got told all the time when I was younger that I am wise beyond my years, before I realised they say that to everyone,” she says. “I’m so determined not to play the hot babe that doesn’t say anything, that can’t have an opinion, but it’s so difficult to resist all of that. Hollywood movies are made for white men, and that’s something I think about and which bothers me all the time.” The sexism she’s experienced in Hollywood, meanwhile, is ongoing. “The sad thing is it’s so consistent, and so present. Sometimes you don’t even notice it.

After Legend, Browning is yet to commit to any more films. She’s waiting, she says, to find a female character as complex as Shea. What would she say to her if she could meet her now?

I think Frances thought, if she loved Reggie enough, then that would make everything OK,” she says. “The realisation that the person she loves was never going to change, and that she has to walk away from that – it’s a heartbreaking idea.

“So I would ask if she genuinely thought her love was what was going to save Reggie,
” she says. There’s a pause on the line. “I think we all do that.”

jnWsm8el.jpg

Beit Yanai, Israel
A man paddles on a board as haze and sand cover the Mediterranean sea. An unseasonal sandstorm has hit the Middle East, reducing visibility and sending dozens of people to hospitals with breathing difficulties

Photograph: Ariel Schalit

j9hBeC6l.jpg

Parit Indah, Indonesia
A soldier uses swimming goggles to protect his eyes from smoke while helping to fight a fire in a peatland forest area. Seasonal forest fires have covered large parts of the islands of Sumatra and Kalimantan in smoke and haze.
Photograph: Yt Haryono

Rams : In a remote Icelandic farming valley, two brothers who haven't spoken in 40 years have to come together in order to save what's dearest to them - their sheep. Director: Grímur Hákonarson, Writer: Grímur Hákonarson,Cast: Sigurður Sigurjónsson, Theodór Júlíusson, Charlotte Bøving, 2015, Drama.

Wishing you all a great Tuesday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif

ange1 avatar
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 09:12
Author: ModeratorET lover
Hello Thalestris and all :)

Tilda Swinton is an awesome actor :) Loved her in Constantine, she played a great part as the Angel Gabriel... I always hoped they would do a Constantine sequel and she would be back alongside Keanu.... Still wont lose hope tho, you just never know what the future holds.
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 17:47
ange1 wrote:

Tilda Swinton is an awesome actor :) Loved her in Constantine, she played a great part as the Angel Gabriel... I always hoped they would do a Constantine sequel and she would be back alongside Keanu.... Still wont lose hope tho, you just never know what the future holds.

Hi ange gHdOO4Y.gif , it's funny that you mention "Constantine" because I watched it again with pleasure last week since I totally forgot about that movie .. And regarding Tilda Swinton , well, I've been blown away by her acting in "Only Lovers Left Alive" and "I am Love" (2009). And you're right , may be one day we'll have a sequel , we never know wGHkwn3.gif

And hi everybody by the way ! So today, to be honest, I'm not happy with what I've found so far.. So, posting or not posting that is the question ah ah.. Ok I guess that you've heard that Danny Boyle is planning a "Trainspotting 2" ! But may be you would be happy to know a bit more about the screenplay ..? So I could give it a chance um and post that one .. And regarding the second article , I don't know , it's about the photographer of David Bowie, well you'll see.. And I do have a few pics and trailers , so let's go.

HxO5oSOl.jpg

Danny Boyle Reveals Next Film Is 'Trainspotting 2'
"All the four main actors want to come back and do it. Now it is only a matter of getting all their schedules together," director reveals

Fresh off premiering the Michael Fassbinder-starring Steve Jobs biopic at the Telluride Film Festival, director Danny Boyle revealed that, if scheduling allows, his next film will be the long-awaited sequel to his 1996 cult classic Trainspotting. "All the four main actors want to come back and do it," Boyle told Deadline. "Now it is only a matter of getting all their schedules together which is complicated by two of them doing American TV series."

The sequel will be based on the Trainspotting author Irvine Welsh's 2002 novel Porno, which revisits the heroin-addicted characters a decade after the events of Trainspotting. John Hodge, the screenwriter of Trainspotting as well as Boyle's A Less Life Ordinary and The Beach, has already penned the sequel's script, with the Oscar-winning director calling it "terrific." As the novel's title suggest, the sequel will find the four main characters from the original embarking into the world of pornography.

Actors Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Jonny Lee Miller and Robert Carlyle have all agreed to reprise their roles for the sequel, which is tentatively titled Trainspotting 2. While Porno was released a dozen years ago, numerous factors kept the sequel from kicking into production, including a rift between McGregor and Boyle. (McGregor, the star in three Boyle films, initially refused to work with the director again after being passed over for Leonardo DiCaprio in The Beach; the two have since patched things up.)

Miller, who played "Sick Boy" in Trainspotting, and Carlyle, who portrayed the antagonistic "Begbie," are the two actors currently complicating scheduling, as Miller stars on CBS' Elemental and Carlyle has a substantial reoccurring role on ABC's Once Upon a Time.

PBHh0UJl.jpg

Shooting for Stardust: Mick Rock on Photographing Bowie
"The man who shot the Seventies" shares stories behind pictures in new book 'The Rise of David Bowie: 1972-1973'

British photographer Mick Rock has impeccable instincts, not to mention a perfect sense of timing. In the early Seventies, while working at the offices of Oz magazine in London, Rock came across a promo copy of a record titled Hunky Dory by a still-relative newcomer named David Bowie. That encounter led Rock, who was hooked on that album, to meet Bowie backstage at the latter's gig in Birmingham, England, where he took his first photos of the singer. It marked the beginning of a momentous working relationship in which Rock became Bowie's official photographer from 1972 to 1973 — a period during which Bowie took the pop music world by storm through his androgynous alter-ego Ziggy Stardust. "Mick sees me the way I see myself," the singer told his manager, according to Rock, upon viewing the results of a photo session at Bowie's residence.

Appropriately described as "the man who shot the Seventies," Rock went on to photograph numerous stars — from Syd Barrett, Lou Reed, Queen, Iggy Pop, and Blondie's Debbie Harry, to most recently the Black Keys, Janelle Monae, and Ellie Goulding. But undoubtedly Rock will be forever linked to his shots of Bowie at the height of the Ziggy Stardust phenomenon. Now that remarkable period is being celebrated in a new numbered limited-edition photo book, The Rise of David Bowie: 1972-1973, published by Taschen and due for release later this month. Co-signed by Bowie and Rock with text by Barney Hoskyns and Michael Bracewell, the large and lavish 310-page tome contains Rock's popular images of the legend along with many previously unseen ones; shots of Bowie in posed and candid moments as well as him performing live in his full-out Ziggy splendor.

Coinciding with the release of Rock's book is an upcoming exhibit of his works, Shooting for Stardust: David Bowie and Co., which opens September 10th at the Taschen Gallery in Los Angeles. Recently the photographer, who is the subject of an upcoming documentary, spoke with Rolling Stone at the Taschen offices in New York about working with Bowie during those two amazing years.

How did this book project originate? You and David had previously collaborated on a photo book from the early 2000s covering similar ground.
It was Taschen's idea. The editor approached me probably three years ago before my kidney transplant. And I said, "David and I already did a beautiful book [Moonage Daydream]," which we already co-signed with Genesis Publications. They said, "Well, we're aware of that, but 1) it's out of print, 2) we want to do our own version, and 3) we know you have a lot of previously unseen photographs." So they twisted my arm. And then I said, "I'm not gonna do this unless David gets on board and gives me his blessing."

So I approached David. He said he liked their books, he thought about it, and he said, "Let's do it, Mick." He approved everything — everything was run by David, everything was shown to David. His main concern going in, which was also mine, is that a certain percentage will be previously unseen photographs. And I made sure probably 45 to 50 percent of the book had photos that were never seen before. So that was important.

The other difference was I personally supervised all the new scanning done for the book, and they were done from the masters, whereas the Genesis book, I actually supplied them with dupes and prints, which they then scanned. In terms of the image quality, this is a step beyond.

Had you heard of David and his music before coming across that promo copy of Hunky Dory?
In 1969 I was barely aware of him but vaguely — he had a hit in England with "Space Oddity." It was around the time of [the Stanley Kubrick film] 2001: A Space Odyssey. I later remade [the video] in '72 for "Space Oddity," where by then David was establishing himself as a star. He was not a star when he made the [Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars] album. So it's all about projection. David was projecting like a motherfucker all over the place, not only in his performances, but in his interviews, in his records, in his lyrics [reciting lyrics from "Star"]: "I could make it all worthwhile as a rock star... I could do with the money... I'm so wiped out with things as they are." I mean, he wanted it. He was extremely ambitious and he was projecting like mad. He wanted it, he can taste it.

What was your initial impression of David when you met him for the first time?
He was a very charming and gracious man. He still is to this day. When I saw perform him at Birmingham Town Hall, even though his outfits weren't as exotic or the makeup as it later became, the rudiments were there and the performance above all was mesmerizing. I think in this period I was very susceptible — I was kind of hypnotized by him.

Did you had any inkling that he was going to be a star?
I believed him. Of course, we were all fucking know-it-alls and thought we knew everything. We thought we we very hip. Plus, I knew who the Velvet Underground were and who the Stooges were, which most people didn't at that time. Could I have imagined what it became? Well, that's a long time ago. I was a true a believer.

You really had tremendous access to David. Why did he trust you?
Maybe because I was also doing interviews [including for Rolling Stone]. Whether it was David, Lou, Iggy, and later Queen and Co., I wanted to please the artist.

One thing, David wasn't wearing drag. He was much more kabuki — space-age kabuki. Some people used to call it drag rock, but it really wasn't. It was this whole other thing. And of course, he mixed up all these great elements.

He was very open and relaxed with me. It seemed kind of normal at the time. He wasn't saying, "Don't shoot this, don't shoot that." He was a very positive and encouraging personality. He was not closed, he was very open. He wanted me to take the pictures.

David looked so comfortable in front of your camera. It's definitely indicative of his charisma.
He wasn't quite a celebrity then. He clearly trusted me. He mixed a lot of elements, that was what made him much more interesting than say a Marc Bolan — it was the shaved eyebrows, it was the wild hairdo, the color, the amazing outfits. I realized what a privilege it was for me to hang out, to be able to get these photographs.

One of the images of Bowie from 1972 shows him staring in the mirror at Haddon Hall. He looked peaceful and subdued at that moment.
He wasn't a star then. But he understood that he was a star. Again, he certainly didn't have all the trappings. But you can feel in his charisma, I could feel the inevitability. And I certainly believed, and as time went on, so did tons of other people. Where did my intuitive thing come from? I don't know. I was probably so spaced out — I just reacted like with Lou and Iggy.

Another of the many striking photos in the book is the one of David trying to bite the guitar of his bandmate Mick Ronson onstage at Oxford Town Hall in 1972. At first glance, it appears that David was trying to go down on Mick.
Their set up had been "Starman," the single, and there's the famous Top of the Pops [episode] and they went on and did that, and David put his arm around Mick. That had quite a lot of reverberation. And then within a day or two of the release of Ziggy Stardust, there were a thousand people —his biggest audience to date — at Oxford Town Hall, and I just happened to come up to the side. I was shooting the show from the front, because I had the access. I went up the side and he hadn't warned me about anything.

Later, when we were working on the Moonage Daydream book, he said, "You know, Mick, I wasn't trying to go down on Mick [Ronson]." In fact, if you look at that shot, you'll see that he's not actually on his knees. His feet are splayed. He said, "I was simply trying to bite Mick's guitar."

I remember him coming off stage afterwards and he said, "Did you get it? Did you get it?" And I'm thinking, "Well, I think I did. I'm not sure." It happened so fast. Next morning I got up early, processed the film, saw the shot, blew it up, brought it in, meeting David and his then-manager, and they were very excited about it. It had a shock value in the line from Hendrix burning his guitar or Pete Townshend smashing his guitar. But it was of the period because obviously it had an interesting overtone to it. The gay thing was still shocking then... but David played right into that, and that of course established the shock value. That kind of imagery was never seen before.

Also included in the book is an alternate version of a famous group shot you took of David, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed at London's Dorchester Hotel 1972.
This has been published before, but this actual frame — although it is the famous moment — it's actually slightly different and it doesn't have the manager in the background. So this isn't the famous shot — although it looks very similar, obviously, but it doesn't have the manager. I just wanted to put something a little different.

One of your popular photos is the one in which David and Mick Ronson are charmingly having lunch inside a British train in 1973. Why does that one have appeal?
I don't know. They look fantastic, and it's such a mundane surrounding, and the food is so mundane. I think the way the two of them are looking at each other — they got the rock & roll game by the tail and they know it. And they're embarking on the last Ziggy tour.

Sometimes you realize that little bit of magic was cast and I was in the thick of it because I wanted to be and because I was encouraged to be. Also, it was quite a small thing at that moment in time, which I did see grow into this much bigger thing. And then he was off to the fucking races. He had the taste and he wasn't ever going to let go and he never did.

Bowie has gone through different personas after 1973 throughout his career and been photographed by others. But those images you took of Bowie from the Ziggy era remain memorable.
They have an intimacy. I had no agenda. I wasn't like a regular news photographer who was affiliated with a particular outfit. I was celebrating the people — whether they were known or unknown — they were what was important to me, not the publication. I think the other thing was a lot of these people back then identified with me just as I did of them. I looked like one of them, I talked like one of them, I acted like one of them, and none of them had much money then... It's how young everybody was, and it was a young culture.

You certainly were at the right place and at the right time in photographing David during his major breakthrough before everyone else.
It was nascent. Again, I was just following my instincts, but I was also encouraged by all these characters, especially David and Lou.

Does David get nostalgic about the pictures you took of him? Has he ever said to you, "Wow, I can't believe you did this"?
No, he doesn't. I don't think he does that about anything. He's amazingly self-disciplined. Again, you know him by his actions. There's not one picture in this book that he didn't approve, otherwise he wouldn't have signed off on it. David, God bless him, is an incredible artist in all sense of the word. I've always respected him and I still do to this day. It is a beautiful book. I do think it's lived up to what he probably was hoping it would do. But he's not going to say it like that, he'll do it with his approval. So you know David by his actions.

He's an amazing character and an amazing artist. His shadow is long and wide and broad. There's some many people refer to him as being a huge influence, whether they're designers or artists or performers. My instinct was well-founded, even though I was hardly a fucking expert at that particular moment in time. Now I am an expert because I'm still living.

wNyFvH9l.jpg

Klepp, Norway
French artists Ella and Pitr have created one of the world’s largest murals for Norway’s NuArt street art festival. The artwork, named Lilith and Olaf, stands at 21,000 sq m.
Photograph: Ella Pitr

OmD5Tiql.jpg

Kyoto, Japan
Tourists explore the popular Sagano bamboo forest.
Photograph: Chris McGrath

wishing you all a great Wednesday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif

Thalestris avatar
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 17:30
Hi everybody ! gHdOO4Y.gif And I say hi particularly to our ET Japanese friends today, oh my .. that typhoon... YUJaHx8.gif

at2RYyll.jpg

Typhoon Etau: thousands evacuated as severe flooding hits Japan
More than 100,000 people ordered to leave homes as torrential rains cause widespread disruption in east of country

At least two people have died and several others are missing as flooding in eastern Japan forced the evacuation of more than 100,000 people and left large parts of one town submerged.

TV footage showed Japanese military personnel rescuing dozens of stranded residents in Joso, a town of about 65,000 people 37 miles north-east of Tokyo, after the Kinugawa river burst its banks, sending a torrent of muddy water cascading into the town.

The transport ministry said that 6,900 households had been affected, adding that only 2,500 people had fled to safety when water levels rose dramatically. Local officials said rescuers were no longer able to respond immediately to the huge number of requests for help.

This is a downpour on a scale that we have not experienced before,” forecaster Takuya Deshimaru told an emergency press conference. “Grave danger could be imminent.”

The threat of floods and landslides – an ever-present danger in Japan, where many smaller communities live on or close to mountains – prompted the evacuation of tens of thousands of people across the country.

The heavy rain, which is expected to spread north on Friday, has also caused additional leaks of radioactive water at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said rain had overwhelmed the site’s drainage pumps, sending hundreds of tonnes of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean.

Workers at the Fukushima plant have had to store huge quantities of contaminated water used to cool melted fuel in three badly damaged reactors in thousands of steel tanks.

Etau also caused widespread disruption to rail transport in the east and northeast of the country. The meteorological agency warned that heavy rain would continue in the northeast, including Fukushima prefecture, until early Friday morning.

zCzXE9r.gif

Mystery surrounds hallucinatory chaos at German homeopathy conference
Police unsure if the incident, where 29 homeopaths were found to be intoxicated with LSD-like drug, was an accident or experiment gone wrong

Police investigating a mass intoxication of a homeopathy conference in Germany with psychedelic drugs have said they still do not know nearly a week later whether it was an accident or an experiment gone wrong.

Emergency services called to the meeting in Handeloh, south of Hamburg, last Friday afternoon found a group of 29 alternative healers hallucinating, staggering around, groaning and rolling on the grass.

Police spokesman Lars Nicklesen said on Thursday that investigators believe a psychedelic drug was to blame but remain unsure of how or why it was taken. The delegates are now all out out of physical danger, he said, but there may yet be legal consequences for the healers in the course of the ongoing criminal investigation.

We’re now questioning the delegates and awaiting the results of blood and urine tests,” he said. “We still don’t know if they took the drugs on purpose. The question is whether they want to talk about it; they have the right to remain silent.”

Nicklesen added that police suspect the group took 2C-E, known in Germany as Aquarust, a drug which heightens perceptions of colours and sounds and in higher doses triggers hallucinations, psychosis and severe cramps.

Germany’s health ministry banned the drug last year due to its highly addictive nature and unknown side effects.

The homeopaths’ meeting - billed as a “further education seminar” - was suspended shortly after it started when delegates began experiencing psychotic hallucinations, cramps, racing heartbeats and shortage of breath. One of them alerted the emergency services.

Alarmed by the sight of so many grown men and women rolling around on the floor, the first fire crews on the scene called for backup, triggering a major incident response. A total of 160 police, fire crews, and ambulance staff and a helicopter were involved in the four hour operation to treat the group.

It was great that none of the people were in mortal danger in the end”, said fire service spokesman Matthias Köhlbrandt. “The leading emergency doctor at the scene believed they would all recover without lasting damage.”

Unsure of what they had taken, medical staff gave the homeopaths oxygen on site before transferring them to seven different nearby hospitals.

The Hamburger Abendblatt newspaper reported that in one clinic, the Asklepios in Harburg, hallucinating patients had to be strapped down to a bed to prevent them causing danger to others. “They were completely off their heads,” a spokesman for the clinic said.

Staff at the conference centre were unable to shed light on the mystery as they had all gone home at the time of the incident. “We’re absolutely shocked, we’ve only had good experiences in the past with the group,” a spokeswoman for the Tanzheimat Inzmühlen conference centre told the Hamburger Abendblatt.

The Association of German Healing Practitioners was quick to distance itself from the incident and emphasised that hallucinogenic drugs had no place in the study of homeopathy. “If I find out that one of our members took part [in what happened in Handeloh] then they will be excluded from the association,” Heinz Kropmanns, the association president, told NDR.

The drug 2C-E was one of hundreds synthesised by the American chemist Alexander Shulgin. The scientist, who died in 2014, and had become known as the godfather of ecstasy after he introduced MDMA to psychotherapists on the US west coast in the late 1970s.

Keith Richards Under the Influence: A portrait of Keith Richards that takes us on a journey to discover the genesis of his sound as a songwriter, guitarist and performer. Director: Morgan Neville, Cast: Tom Waits, Keith Richards, Waddy Wachtel, 2015, Documentary.

And that's it for today , do have a great Thursday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 17:09
Hi everybody ! gHdOO4Y.gif And It's Friday at last !! So what's up in the world, I just have one article in fact , some videos and 2 pics. So let's go !

OruUEiXl.jpg

Secret Cinema in Calais: 'We can offer a break from the constant reality of living in tents'
Fabien Riggall, director of Secret Cinema, explains why the organisation has set up protest screenings in the refugee camps of Calais and across the globe

Secret Cinema director Fabien Riggall has just returned from a visit to the Jungle refugee camp in Calais, and the anger at what he saw is palpable. “It’s the inaction when faced with the biggest movement of refugees since the second world war that gets me,” he says, back in Secret Cinema’s Hackney office. “As a cultural organisation, we should react to this. [The camp in] Calais is a shithole. It’s literally on a dump.”

On Saturday evening (12 September), Secret Cinema will host a screening of an as-yet-undisclosed film under the #SecretProtest banner at an as-yet-unannounced London location, and in locations around the world. There will also be a synchronised performance of a different film at onsite screens in the Jungle camp. Riggall says the whole thing will take four days to set up.

We’re not a humanitarian organisation,” he says, “but we feel passionate that art can tell the truth and that having an escape from their predicament through access to culture will offer a break from this constant reality of living in tents.”

It’s been estimated that the 100-date run of the big-ticket, immersive The Empire Strikes Back performance in London will earn Secret Cinema £6.7m over the course of the production; that makes it a significant hitter on the UK entertainment scene, and gives its team the money to back up their social conscience. Riggall says he met Syrian occupants of the camp (the largest group), as well as Afghans, Eritreans, Ethiopians, Sudanese and Pakistanis, and says that the biggest problem isn’t getting aid out there, but distributing it when it arrives.

These people want to join up with their families in Britain; that’s a big part of it,” he says. “Can I help get them here? No, unless I buy a big ferry and break the law. But I went in there and thought, ‘If we had a crew which solves technical problems, builds things, fixes water, sorts electricity out, deals with health and safety…’ There are no comms systems, no walkie talkies for the volunteers. We’ve persuaded a mobile phone company to bring 500 chargers, just to help people communicate with their families. The biggest problem in Calais is that there aren’t enough people to distribute, people on the ground. There was a flood yesterday, a burst pipe, and no one to fix it. We had to call the water board ourselves.

This isn’t the first time Secret Cinema has organised an event with an altruistic motive, having screened Dead Poets Society in aid of the mental health charity Mind shortly after Robin Williams’s death, and The Great Dictator in support of the freedom of expression charity Article 19. Riggall has contacts with Doctors Worldwide and smaller Catholic church charities, and has been working with the Refugee Council since the sight of the camp being bulldozed last year spurred him into action. He says The Empire Strikes Back has already made the charity £25,000 in related donations.

Riggall, naturally, won’t reveal the title of the London film, which is also being shown in locations as varied as Berlin, Nairobi and Detroit, but he says “it tells the truth, it’s unbelievably moving in the context of what’s going on”. Anyone with the means can also set up their own screening – the Secret Protest website has details – and Secret Cinema is discussing with NGOs the possibility of showing it in refugee camps around the world. On the two Calais screens – the main one in the large camp and a smaller one in the separate women and children’s camp – there will be something “lighter”.

Bollywood is big in Afghanistan and across the Middle East, as well as in Pakistan,” says Riggall. “Part of me thinks I should just show a football game – it seems to be the unifying thing in the men’s camp – but we’re going with Bollywood. They’re really feelgood, everyone loves them. We’re still deciding on the final film though – they’re all about three hours.”

He isn’t over the football idea. At the moment, he says, Secret Cinema can afford to keep the larger of the two screens in Calais for a week, but if he can negotiate the right deals with suppliers he’d like to set up a permanent space, tented in winter, which can be used for film, music and meetings. And watching football, of course.

It makes you feel sick,” says Riggall. “You think, I go through Calais on holiday. This is an hour from London and people are living like this. Times are changing, a consensus is emerging, but it makes you angry – it doesn’t need that much investment, it’s only 3,500 people. And gatherings like this where people come together for a cause are important. Acting on something rather than just clicking on it is a sign you want something to change.

IiwTsR6l.jpg

People read the victims’ names on the 9/11 Empty Sky memorial at sunrise across from New York’s Lower Manhattan and One World Trade Center, in Liberty State Park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Photograph: Eduardo Munoz

mlHtsHil.jpg

Yuxi, China
Creations on show at the Wajia lantern festival.
Photograph: Lyu Shuai

Wishing you all a great Friday morning, afternoon, evening and a nice week end ! wGHkwn3.gif
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 17:01
Hi everybody ! gHdOO4Y.gif and a special hi to our ET Californian friends ! Because I'll be talking about California posting that first article, then "The Martian", a few pics and unfortunately just one trailer today... Anyways , here we go !

nEsunqHl.jpg

Explosive wildfire threatens California mountain towns as blaze intensifies
Governor declares state of emergency as thousands prepare to evacuate
Firefighters amdstruggle to contain worsening conditions

A mountain town is standing by to evacuate on Saturday and residents across a huge swath of northern California have been warned of “explosive fire conditions” as a fierce wildfire across more than 100 square miles suddenly intensified.

California governor Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency for the counties experiencing the inferno, as it approaches the town of San Andreas, about 60 miles south-east of Sacramento in the Sierra Nevada region.

Some homes have been engulfed and thousands are threatened with imminent destruction in the path of flames that are spreading over steep landscape.

The gradients help the fires grow by sending heat up slopes and increasing ground temperatures ahead of the flames while making it extremely difficult for the emergency services to tackle the blaze.

The gold rush town of San Andreas, with a population of 2,700, had been put under a mandatory evacuation order on Friday. But the fire then changed direction abruptly and people were told merely to prepare to evacuate at short notice.

On Saturday morning the town is once again on the brink of being ordered to empty out as the fire swells rapidly.

“If you see smoke or fire approaching your community, evacuate the area immediately,” Incident commander Phil Veneris of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, known as Cal Fire, warned residents of San Andreas and the surrounding two counties.

The department has warned the region to be prepared for “explosive fire conditions”.

A blaze that covered one square mile on Thursday quickly burned more than 100 square miles and was only 5% contained by Friday evening.

The exact cause of the latest wildfire has yet to be established. But conditions are extremely dangerous as a recent heat wave bringing temperatures in the 90s has added to the intense drought now in its fourth year in California, turning the bone-dry countryside into a massive tinderbox.

It’s expanding like a balloon. It’s moving very fast and is extremely dangerous,” said Nancy Longmore, California state fire spokeswoman.

More than 2,500 firefighters and 20 air tankers flying over the flames dumping retardant “from sunup to sundown” have barely contained the blaze in the roasting conditions and steep terrain, the department admitted.

In the region around San Andreas six homes had been destroyed by Friday night and more than 6,400 were threatened in the wildfire that broke out on Wednesday afternoon and has been dubbed the Butte fire.

It started slowly and then spread rapidly, expanding in all directions but burning especially swiftly towards the south.

We feel so small in a big ocean right now,” firefighter Matt Sisneros said of the expanse of leaping flames. Some firefighters are working 18-hour shifts to try to contain the blaze.

San Andreas resident Fred Oshiro, 85, said that he, his wife and his sister-in-law had loaded up the car gone in search of the local evacuation center.

“We were going to stay in the house and watch the fire but the sheriff said you’d better take a hike,” he said.

“If the house burns down we’ll lose a lot. There’s the three of us and some essentials,” he added.

Meanwhile, in central California between the city of Fresno and the Kings Canyon National Park, firefighters are digging trenches to try to stop wildfires reaching a growth of ancient giant sequoia trees in the Sierra Nevada, where the towering specimens are often found to be 3,000 years old.

The Grant Grove of sequoias is named for the majestic General Grant tree in its midst, which is 268 feet tall. Lightning caused a fire more than a week ago that has now spread to an area of 40 square miles.

And in the tiny village of Dunlap in the area, with just 130 residents, sheriff’s deputies have been going door to door handing out mandatory evacuation notices.

QhjYfBil.jpg

Matt Damon: the refugee crisis is a reason to release The Martian
The actor spoke about the optimistic message of his new sci-fi adventure alongside at the Toronto film festival

Matt Damon believes that Europe’s ongoing refugee crisis has given his new science fiction thriller The Martian an added layer of importance.

The optimistic tone of the film (which sees experts both on earth and in space try to help Damon’s stranded astronaut get back to earth) is seen by Damon as especially meaningful ahead of its international release in October.

It’s a reason to put this out there for us,” Damon said during a press conference at the Toronto film festival. “It’s a really optimistic and hopeful movie and sometimes our job is to put something like that out during really tough times.

His co-star Chiwetel Ejiofor also shared his thoughts on the real world importance of the film. “Politicians don’t really represent human instinct,” he said. “There are choices made politically that don’t represent me. I still believe in the sentiment of this film and it does represent the better part of our nature.

The press conference also saw director Ridley Scott address the controversy surrounding his biblical epic Exodus: Gods and Kings, claiming he doesn’t regret his choice of a largely white cast.

I’ve got no regrets on anything with Exodus,” he said. “I’m very proud of it but when they start saying “Well gee, shouldn’t Moses have been black and shouldn’t the wife be Ethiopian”, well I don’t know, I wasn’t there. And also, I would never have got it, it would have been limited.

The poorly reviewed film received just a 27% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and came under fire for “whitewashing” a story with actors such as Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton starring.

His new film The Martian, about an astronaut stranded on Mars, has been praised for its diverse cast, which includes Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, Kate Mara, Donald Glover, Michael Peña and Mackenzie Davis. Oscar nominee Chastain spoke of her pleasure to be starring in a film with strong female roles.

I was really happy that out of a crew of six people, two of them were women,” she said. “That’s actually better odds that the current NASA program. It makes me happy to see more than just one type of person on screen.” Co-star Michael Peña joked that he was “the first Mexican in space”.

The Martian marks a return to science fiction for Scott, after Alien, Blade Runner and Prometheus, and he credits Stanley Kubrick as his main inspiration in the genre saying that Alien was “definitely affected by Stanley”. His latest film has already been compared to Gravity but Scott believes they exist in different worlds.

“Cuaron’s film is terrific but that is really about the reality of NASA and what actually goes on,” he said. “Just the exercise of doing all that and what goes on in space is absolutely bloody magnificent and it’s a real son of a bitch to shoot. I have great admiration for him.

zanc2kpl.jpg

A cult condemned as satanic by the Catholic church has millions of followers in Mexico and the United States. Sante Muerte or Saint Death is a female folk saint with roots in both Aztec ritual and Catholic belief. Angus Fraser has been photographing its devotees, shrines and rituals since 2011, culminating in a new Book ‘Sante Muerte’.

A tequila blessing, where Santa Muerte statuettes are first blessed with tequila and then a ring of fire is lit to signify their status as sacramental icons to Santa Muerte.

zqNheEql.jpg

Touching La Flaquita (The Skinny Lady). Devotees travel for many days to reach what is considered the holiest shrine to Santa Muerte in the Tepito District of Mexico City.

The Hive : A young man suffering from amnesia must dig deep into the far reaches of his mind to remember who he is and save the love of his life before a virus that has infected him takes over. Director: David Yarovesky, Writers: Will Honley, David Yarovesky, Cast: Brekkan Spens, Gabriel Basso, Talitha Bateman, 2015, Thriller, Horror.

Wishing you all a great week end, and I'll be back in here on Monday ! Have fun ! wGHkwn3.gif
ange1 avatar
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 09:51

Wow thank you for all your posts and never even heard of the Sante Muerte Cult. It certainly does have a lot of followers.. 1 million is a lot.

Looking forward to watching Matt Damons new movie The Martian.

Wishing you and everyone a great Sunday :)
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 17:04
ange1 wrote:

Wow thank you for all your posts and never even heard of the Sante Muerte Cult. It certainly does have a lot of followers.. 1 million is a lot.

Looking forward to watching Matt Damons new movie The Martian.

Wishing you and everyone a great Sunday :)

Hi ange gHdOO4Y.gif and hi everybody ! And yes just like you, I had no idea that the Sante Muerte Cult was that popular.. I hope that you had all a great Sunday ! A relaxing one ! Damn that was hard to get up early this morning.. vTboF2W.gif

Anyways, as for today, nothing much, just 2 articles, 2 pics and one trailer. I was hoping for new movie trailers, but I guess that it will be for tomorrow. So let's go ! wGHkwn3.gif

IHwiFmIl.jpg

Turning up as a last-minute dinner guest, gave cinematographer Seamus McGarvey a chance to spend some time with Bob Dylan, but it didn’t go quite as he expected

About 20 years ago, I was in Mexico making a documentary. Exhausted, I travelled home via Los Angeles to stay a few days with a musician friend of mine. When I arrived my friend said, “You’ve come at the right time, Bob Dylan is coming round for dinner tonight.” I was in a lather of excitement as Dylan is one of my heroes.

So in due course Bob Dylan arrives and when he sees there is a stranger, an infidel who he isn’t expecting, a look of panic sweeps over him and he pulls the toggles on this hoodie he is wearing over his bushy hair, so that all that is left is this small hole.

He then proceeds to eat the Mexican food we were having through this little hole, so that by the end of the meal the salsa and guacamole is smeared round the hood. I could hear him speaking in that inimitable Bob Dylan voice, but could not see him. At one point he started playing a little children’s keyboard and sang an old gospel song. I can’t think of a more searingly surreal moment in my life!

Eventually, after a few hours, Bob leaves, still with the hood round his face. As we sat there digesting the experience there was a knock on the door. I answered and there is Dylan standing there now with his hood off. He says, “I’ve got no gas in my truck. Could someone come with me to a gas station?” Given the attention of fans, he wouldn’t fill his own tank.

Hoping to finally speak to him, I say: “Well, I’ll go.” So I get in this battered old Dodge truck with Bob Dylan driving down Ventura Boulevard. This was in Encino which is out in the Los Angeles suburbs. We drive in silence past gas station after gas station and I am saying: “Bob, that’s a gas station… there’s another gas station…” But he’s not stopping. “No,” he says. “I know this one on Laurel and Ventura…”

We eventually pull into this gas station, and now it’s about one in the morning. He gives me his credit card (I didn’t check if it said Robert Zimmerman), I swipe it at the pump, fill up the gas, and, as I am about to get back in the truck, he says: “No man, I gotta go, I got to go.” He pulls the door shut on me and then drives off down the road, leaving me on my own on the forecourt.

I hadn’t a cent in my pocket. Nothing. I had to ring my host call collect – this was before mobiles – and get him to pick me up. I even had to ask the gas station cashier where I was, because I’d never been to LA before.

I’ve worked with Bob since, but I’ve never mentioned that strange night to him.

tZWU2mp.gif

Should I worry about my hair loss?
It is normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day, so losing small clumps doesn’t usually mean imminent baldness – hair almost always grows back. Pattern baldness, however, has no magic potions to treat it

Less than half of women go through life with a full head of hair. For men, it’s closer to 20%. For anyone, it’s a worry when you pull that clump of hair out of the plug hole. A Cochrane review of treatments for female-pattern hair loss suggested that women “suffer more than men”, feeling “removed from what is considered a ‘normal’ female appearance”. However, studies show that three-quarters of men with moderate to severe hair loss aren’t thrilled, either. That said, hair loss in small clumps doesn’t usually mean imminent baldness. Its medical name is telogen effluvium and it can be triggered by pregnancy, surgery or serious illness – usually three months after the event – and is due to traumatic disruption of the hair-growth cycle. Hair almost always grows back. Hair loss can also be due to alopecia areata, an autoimmune condition in which hair also usually grows back.

It’s normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day (more than one clump). Hair grows from the base of hair follicles at 1cm a month for about three years. Then the hair just sits there until it is pushed out by a new hair. In the scalp, hairs grow in tufts of three of four. Once male or female pattern baldness kicks in, the tufts lose hairs and the scalp develops bald spots. Men lose hair from the front backwards as well as on the crown, often getting a circle of baldness. Women get thinner hair in the middle of the scalp. So when should you worry about hair loss and what should you do?S

Solution
If you are losing clumps continuously or want advice on hair loss then see your GP, who might ask about what medicines you’re taking or check your thyroid or iron levels. Both male- and female-pattern baldness can be disguised with spray thickeners and shading powders: there are no magic hair potions. Hair extensions and wigs get more realistic all the time but hair transplants are increasingly popular. The Cochrane review found that only minoxidil rubbed into the scalp showed any benefit, and had to be used for at least 12 months and then continuously to prevent further hair loss (it may work by retaining hairs for longer). You have to pay full price for minoxidil, as the NHS doesn’t provide it. Hormone treatments that reduce androgens work for some men, but the Cochrane review found no real effect in women. The author of the review, Dr Esther van Zuuren from Leiden University Medical Centre, says they are currently updating the evidence. LaserComb, which claims to stimulate follicles and has FDA approval, will feature heavily – but don’t hold your breath.

yJCVEqrl.jpg

A fast-spreading fire, which destroyed hundreds of homes, forced the governor to declare a state of emergency and displaced thousands of residents as the blaze roared unchecked through the village of Middletown and nearby communities over the weekend.
Fire crews ran night operations and controlled burnings to contain the Butte fire in Sheep Ranch
Photograph: Andrew Seng

77axrn2l.jpg

Burned out vehicles and homes scorched by the fire line Wardlaw Street in Middletown
Photograph: Noah Berger

Maryland ( Disorder) : Vincent is an ex-soldier with PTSD who is hired to protect the wife and child of a wealthy Lebanese businessman while he's out of town. Despite the apparent tranquility on Maryland, Vincent perceives an external threat. Director: Alice Winocour, Writers: Alice Winocour, Jean-Stéphane Bron (in collaboration with), Cast: Matthias Schoenaerts, Diane Kruger, Jean-Louis Coulloc'h, 2015, Thriller.

Wishing you all a great Monday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 16:53
Hi everybody ! gHdOO4Y.gif So what's up in the world ? For a second, I thought that I wouldn't be able to make a post today .. And at the last minute, I spotted a few things so.. A little bit of human ethology for a start 2AtoAqI.gif and the second article is quite fascinating really.. Anyways, strangely today , it's all about what's going on in your little brain ... lpkMsKv.gif And the movie trailers addicts will be happy , I do have a few new stuff for you.. And just one pic ! So here we go !

IMXOmDl.gif

nXTzgY6.gif

ptaNhtj.gif

People who watch porn are more likely to be feminists
Apparently men and women who watch pornography are more likely to support gender equality. Who knew?

You know how you were always a bit wary of people who watched loads of porn? Maybe you dismissed them as being a bit sleazy and – let's face it – probably a bit sexist. I mean, it's not exactly the wildest conclusion to jump to. Porn, generally, has a pretty terrible rep for promoting gender equality.

However, in a seriously shocking twist, this could all be about to be proved wrong. New research has actually found that people who watch porn are actually more likely to be feminists.

The study, which was published in The Journal of Sex Research, compared people who watched porn with those that don't, and found that the former group held much more egalitarian views. Although both groups were quite similar in their self-identification as feminist, it ended up being the people who watched porn who had a better attitude towards working women, and women in positions of power. They were also more likely to be pro-choice when it came to the issue of abortion.

Taken together, the results of this study fail to support the view that pornography is an efficient deliverer of 'women-hating ideology,'” The researchers concluded. “While unexpected from the perspective of radical feminist theory, these results are consistent with a small number of empirical studies that have also reported positive associations between pornography use and egalitarian attitudes.”

The study, which took place at the University of Western Ontario, collected data from America's General Social Survey. Looking at a range of results taken from between 1975 and 2010, they found that men and women who viewed porn claimed to have much more respect for women in general. Although the researchers were quick to point out that, while the statistics may be reliable, the link “may have little real-world meaning.”

These findings do not rule out the idea that there may be negative effects for some men who watch certain types of porn,” wrote sex researcher Justin Lehmiller, in an analysis piece for Playboy. “For instance, among men who are low in the personality trait of agreeableness (i.e., guys who don’t show much care or concern for others), pornography exposure appears to increase their sexist attitudes.

mIDAM5sl.jpg

'Sonogenetics' allows brain cells to be controlled by sound waves
Scientists have used genetically modified worms to show that ultrasound can be used to activate brain, heart and muscle cells from outside the body

Scientists have bred worms with genetically modified nervous systems that can be controlled by bursts of sound waves.

The tiny nematodes change direction the moment they are blasted with sonic pulses that are too high-pitched for humans to hear.

The pulses work by switching on motor neuron cells that are genetically modified to carry membrane channels that respond to ultrasonic waves.

Researchers said the worms demonstrate the power of a new procedure, dubbed sonogenetics, in which ultrasound can be used to activate a range of brain, heart and muscle cells from outside the body.

Sreekanth Chalasani, a researcher at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, told the Guardian that the procedure could one day replace deep-brain stimulation, an invasive procedure that delivers electrical pulses into people’s brains to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.

Nematode worms do not usually react to ultrasound, but Chalasani found that they did when they were surrounded by a fluid containing microscopic bubbles. The bubbles, he found, amplify the ultrasonic waves which then pass inside the worms.

The amplified ultrasound waves act on structures called TRP-4 ion channels, found in the membranes of some of the worms’ cells. The sound waves make these ion channels open up and activate the cells they are attached to, according to a report in Nature Communications.

To make ultrasound-controlled nematodes, Chalasani genetically modified the worms so that some of their motor neurons carried TRP-4 ion channels. When he applied ultrasound to the modified creatures, the sound waves were amplified by the microbubbles and transmitted into the worms, where they switched on the modified motor neurons.

The procedure has some similarities with optogenetics, a groundbreaking tool that allows scientists to switch neurons on and off with pulses of light. But Chalasani said that sonogenetics could have some advantages over that technique. Unlike light, which has to be sent down an optic fibre to the desired location inside the brain, low frequency ultrasound waves can pass through tissue unhindered, and so can be sent into the brain from on top of the skull.

We believe that, using gene therapy and a therapeutic virus, it may be possible to make target human neurons temporarily susceptible to the ultrasound signal in a clinical setting for certain neurological treatments,” said Chalasani. Other applications could focus on muscle cells and insulin-producing cells, he added.

jOLrPTIl.jpg

Hyderabad, India
An Indian artist works on eco-friendly figures of Hindu God Lord Ganesh made with mud, jute and bamboo at a blue tarp-covered workshop on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
Photograph: Noah Seelam

Wishing you all a great Tuesday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif
ange1 avatar
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 08:12

Wow interesting to think that people who watch porn are more likely to be Feminists. Wonder what the think of peeps who watch a lot of horror loool

Hope you have a lovely Wednesday and the weather is nice. Storms are heading here altho it is actually nice at the moment. But as they say the calm before the storm

Just found this new trailer and thought i would add to your thread if that was ok :)

The Jungle Book will be released April 2016 and i am really looking forward to it, The Trailer looks awesome :) With some big stars.

Then the following year Andy Serkis is releasing his version... Jungle Book Origins..
From what i have read it will be brilliant.... Benedict Cumberbatch will play Shere Khan and Christian Bale Bagheera while Andy will play Baloo the bear.
dazpicable avatar
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59
Author: Site FriendET junkieET loverSunTurtle
The Green inferno now that looks good some facts for you about this film i found on Imdb, at a recent showing at the Deauville American Film Festival in France a member of the audience fainted no less lol.They had to show the villagers a film because they had no concept of what one was, he choose Cannibal Holocaust (1980)great choice,they saw it and agreed to do the film.Lorenza Izzo nearly died filming the river scene so he decided to keep some of that footage in the film,nice.
Pleased to read also the people who watch porn article more likely to be feminists wow i had to wait sooooooooooooo long for justification and finally.......
However makes you wonder about people who watch a lot of horror films, by my reckoning it makes you more tolerant and compassionate ;-),
nice read today Thalestris cheers.
Abhi121 avatar
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 13:38
Author:
Hello there Thalestris ... and everyone ...
Some great stuf that i missed ...
and great articles Thalestris ....
So a quote now ;)

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. - Thomas A. Edison
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:10
Hi Daz, ange and Abhi and everybody, just popping in here quickly, and I'll answer to you all in a few hours, after that big storm the other day, I had my electricity cut for 24 hours .. Ha ha, life with no electricity.. Anyways, I wish you a beautiful Thursday, and I'll try to make a post later on..
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 17:24
So answering to all of you right now hurray, and everything is back to normal, the router, my seeding ...

And just like you ange , I look forward to seeing that movie indeed : "The Jungle Book", as I was happily surprised by Jon Favreau's movie as a director #Chef. so we'll see.. wGHkwn3.gif And regarding horror movie fans , well the 3 of us , you, Daz and I are huge fans ..and I don't think that we could hurt a fly so I guess that the theory can apply here too 2AtoAqI.gif
And Daz, about "Cannibal Holocaust" oh my, I've seen that one ages ago and I never watched it again, but I do remember 2 scenes which seemed so realistic therefore highly disturbing.. vTboF2W.gif so now I wonder what "The Green Inferno" is going to be .. YUJaHx8.gif and thanks Abhi for the quote ! Glad to see you back ! wGHkwn3.gif

And today what's up in the world, you've all watched the news I guess , vTboF2W.gif
1 million evacuated as Chile hit by magnitude 8.3 earthquake.
Chilean president Michelle Bachelet declares a catastrophe zone in coastal cities after quake felt across South America

So I've chosen something a bit brainless to make everybody smile today wGHkwn3.gif

lljfkn9l.png

The actor, soon to be seen in the new James Bond movie Spectre, on why 007 is the perfect man – and what draws her to roles in ‘violent and unwatchable’ films

Hi Monica! You’re about to become the oldest James Bond love interest in history (1). Why do you think your casting struck such a nerve?

Because the world is a man’s world. Men have the power in everything: journalism, acting, direction; in banks, finances, schools. All the laws are made by men. Men think that women, when they’re not able to procreate any more, become old. That is not true – they are still amazing! That’s why I think that Sam Mendes [director of the new James Bond film, Spectre], in choosing me, an adult woman, created a big revolution.

I don’t know Hollywood very well. I’ve never lived in Los Angeles or New York. But what I can see in Paris, where I live, is that actresses like Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert, Charlotte Rampling, still get the chance to play strong, sexy roles even though they’re not 20.

Some people take offence at the term Bond girl. Do you?

I can’t say I’m a Bond girl because I’m too mature to be a Bond girl. I say Bond lady; Bond woman. But I’m proud to be a Bond lady, because actually, Bond is the most amazing man. You know why?

Why?

Because he doesn’t exist.

I’ve just seen your new film, Ville-Marie, at the Toronto film festival. You play an actress in it. How was that?

First of all she’s a woman – with so many problems. She uses the fact that she’s an actress in the way a solider protects himself with a weapon. Because when she goes out in public, the people look for an image, not who she is. People think she’s beautiful, famous and special. And actually she feels like less than nothing.

Could you relate to that?

I hope not! But if you ask me why I’m an actress – I don’t know why. There is one beautiful sentence that Humphrey Bogart used to say ... not Humphrey Bogart! Richard Burton! Richard Burton used to say: “An actress is more than a woman, and an actor is less than a man.” (2) I don’t know what that’s about. But it’s just something that I need to do right now. Maybe in 10 years I won’t be an actress any more. But right now, to play is something I need. It’s one way of learning something about myself.

I hope that I’m a better mother to my children. But I have two girls (3); if I had a boy maybe it would be more difficult. The relationship with my girls is very beautiful. But I think I can understand the pain for a mother who doesn’t have a good relation with her son. I don’t think there’s bigger pain than that.

What draws you to more extreme films like Irréversible? (4)

My body is an object of work. That’s why I think to be an actor is one of the most violent jobs. If you’re a pianist, you have your piano. If you’re a guitarist, you have your guitar. But if you’re a dancer, or you’re an actor – your instrument is your body.

For example, when we see dancers while they’re dancing, it’s like they fly up in the air. The most touching moment of my life was when I went to the Bolshoi in Moscow: I’ve never seen such elevation of art. But I’m sure that when the dancers got back into their little room, their feet were full of blood. While they’re dancing, they don’t feel the blood. It’s more of a high than pain. I think actors can do things with their body – it’s like they forget they are inside. They can do things without being ashamed.

Do you ever feel you go too far?

Sometimes I ask why directors ask that I do things that are so violent. I don’t know. Beauty is like a mask, and people think that when you’re beautiful, some things can be easier. For example, I was very shy early in my life. When I started to be pretty I was less shy because people would come to me, instead of me coming to them. But even though the problems are still the same, there’s a moment in your life where the beauty of youth goes away. Even though you say I’m pretty, I’m 50 years old, not 20. There is a moment in your life when you have to deal, because time goes by. All I can say is that I’m ready for it.

Footnotes
(1) In Spectre, out in late October. Bellucci is … 51.

(2) The quotation appears on various websites as “An actor is something less than a man, while an actress is something more than a woman”. It was Richard Burton, though.

(3) Bellucci has two children with actor Vincent Cassel, from whom she separated in 2013.

(4) Gaspar Noé’s 2002 hardcore drama, co-starring Cassel. The critic Roger Ebert called it “so violent and cruel that most people will find it unwatchable”.

ZzpmxZR.gif

Caffeine consumed before bedtime delays rise in sleep hormone and rewinds body clock by nearly an hour, scientists discover

Drinking the equivalent of a double espresso three hours before bedtime can turn the body clock back nearly an hour, replicating the effects of jet lag, scientists have discovered.

Coffee consumed late in the evening resets the internal body clock, which regulates a host of biological functions and genes, according to a natural day/night cycle. The evidence suggests that the effects of caffeine go much further than simply making it harder to sleep.

Caffeine resets the clock by delaying a rise in the level of melatonin, the body’s chief sleep hormone. Fluctuating levels of melatonin help determine the natural time to go to sleep and wake up.

Two teams of British and US scientists carried out a study of volunteers and observed what happened to individual cells exposed to caffeine. Joint lead researcher Dr John O’Neill, from the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology in London, said: “The effect of caffeine on sleep and wakefulness has been long established, but its impact on the underlying body clock has remained unknown.

These findings could have important implications for people with circadian sleep disorders, where their normal 24-hour body clock doesn’t work properly, or even help with getting over jet lag. Our findings also provide a more complete explanation for why it’s harder for some people to sleep if they’ve had a coffee in the evening – because their internal clockwork thinks that they’re an hour further west.

“By understanding the effect caffeinated drinks have on our body clock, right down to the level of individual cells, gives greater insight into how we can influence our natural 24-hour cycle, for better or for worse.

Body clock patterns, also known as circadian rhythms, are governed by a “master clock” in the brain that governs the release of melatonin. The mechanism, which synchronises clocks that exist throughout the body down to the level of individual cells, is governed by exposure to light entering the eye.

Disruption of the body clock, for instance by working shifts or jet lag, is known to increase the risk of various cancers, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s.

In the US study, conducted at the University of Colorado, researchers tested the saliva of five volunteers to look for signs of rising melatonin. They found that stimulation by the caffeine equivalent of a double espresso three hours before it was time to sleep delayed the expected melatonin surge by 40 minutes. Caffeine and bright light combined extended the delay to 105 minutes.

To further investigate what was happening, the UK scientists added caffeine to human cells in the laboratory. They found that at the cellular level, caffeine could turn the clock back directly by activating a receptor protein “switch” found in all cells. Reducing levels of the switch protein on cell surfaces minimised the caffeine-induced body clock delay. The findings are reported in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

Prof Kenneth Wright, from the University of Colorado, said: “This is the first study to show that caffeine, the most widely used psychoactive drug in the world, has an influence on the human circadian clock. It also provides new and exciting insights into the effects of caffeine on human physiology.”

The results may help explain why caffeine-drinking “night owls” go to bed later and wake up later and may have implications for treating some circadian sleep-wake disorders, he added.

Q2G9GU9l.jpg

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Christ the Redeemer statue with a new moon in the background. Photograph: Tasso Marcelo.

lm2qaSdl.jpg

UNEXSO in Grand Bahama was the first dive centre to put Caribbean reef sharks into a state of tonic immobility so visitors can see them up close. A chainmail suit made of stainless steel protects the shark diver – some think that touching the shark’s sensitive snout with metal provides the necessary calming effect.
Photograph: John Bantin

Wishing you all a great Thursday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! wGHkwn3.gif

[Prev]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 46, 47  [Next]
Page 20 of 47   [ 691 posts ]

Forum Search

search in post message
  search in topic subject
Forum

Home - Browse Torrents - Upload Torrent - Stat - Forum - FAQ - Login
ExtraTorrent.cc is in compliance with copyrights
BitCoin: 12DiyqsWhENahDzdhdYsRrCw8FPQVcCkcm
Can't load ExtraTorrent? Try our official mirrors: etmirror.com - etproxy.com - extratorrentonline.com - extratorrentlive.com
2006-2017 ExtraTorrent.cc3