Hot torrents
H264 X264
View Torrent Info: Moana.2016.BluRay.1080p.DTS.AC3.x264-ETRG
View Torrent Info: Assassins.Creed.2016.BluRay.720p.DTS.AC3.x264-ETRG
View Torrent Info: From.a.House.on.Willow.Street.2016.720p.WEBRip.x264.AAC-ETRG
View Torrent Info: Hidden.Figures.2016.720p.BRRip.x264.AAC-ETRG
Hot torrents
BluRay, 4k UHD
View Torrent Info: Hunt for the WinderPeople 2016 Multi  Bluray 1080p x264 DTSHD 5.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: Bitter Harvest (Holodomor) - Bluray 1080p x264 DTSHD 5.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: Bad Santa-2 2016 Multi UHD 2160p BluRay HEVC SDR DTSHD 5.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: The.Chamber.2016.BluRay.1080p.x264.DTSHD5.1-DDR
Hot torrents
Television
View Torrent Info: The.Walking.Dead.S07E15.WEB-DL.x264-FUM[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Into.the.Badlands.S02E02.WEB-DL.x264-FUM[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Time.After.Time.US.S01E05.HDTV.x264-LOL[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Elementary.S05E18.HDTV.x264-LOL[ettv]
View Torrent Info: Dil To Pagal Hai 1997 BluRay 1080P x264 DTSHD 5.1 -DDR
View Torrent Info: Ho Mann Jahaan (2016) TVRIP 1CDRIP x264 AAC [DDR]
View Torrent Info: Trapped (2017) DesiPDVD 1CDRIP x264 AAC [DDR]
View Torrent Info: Fantastic.Beasts.And.Where.To.Find.Them.(2016).1080p.BDRip.Dual.Audio.Org.BD.{Hindi.5.1 Eng.5.1}.-~{DOOMSDAY}~-
30s
Chat
To add new messages please Login or Register for FREE
Warning! Protect Yourself from Lawsuits and Fines!
Your IP Address is 54.166.85.29.   Location is United States
Your IP Address is visible to EVERYONE. Hide your IP ADDRESS with a VPN while torrenting!
ExtraTorrent strongly recommends using Trust.Zone VPN to anonymize your torrenting. It's FREE!
Hide my IP address!

The Pirate Gazette (closed)

[Prev]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46, 47  [Next]
Page 26 of 47   [ 691 posts ]
AuthorMessage
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 17:47
Author: Turtle
Hi everybody ! So what's up in the world .. Well, when I woke up this morning, I naively thought that tonight I would make a silly , happy post , you know, something cheerful, because it's nearly New Year's Eve and everything.. That would be wonderful, don't you think? We are all brothers and sisters and we live peacefully on Earth , happily ever after ... Well, we're not quite there yet, so I had to post that article.. So may be one day, I'll be able to post only some nonsense, some silly jokes, I dream about that day ! I've added a few pics, and some trailers and an itw : RIP Lemmy ! so let's go !

fknap4Al.jpg

All of Chicago – not just its police – must see systemic change to save black lives. (Mariame Kaba)

After the killings of Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie Jones in Chicago on Saturday, the city needs to see serious solutions to injustices against black communities.

Calling 911 should not be a death-wish. On Saturday, police were called to Quintonio LeGrier’s home because he was suffering from a mental health episode which frightened his family. Legrier, a 19-year-old college student, and 55-year-old grandmother-activist Bettie Jones ended up dead – both were shot by Chicago police.

LeGrier’s father, who called the police, said that his son had “emotional issues”. It’s still unclear how police came to shoot Quintonio seven times. Police say Bettie Jones, a neighbor, was “accidentally” shot. The officers involved in this shooting are on desk duty for at least 30 days pending a department investigation into their actions. There may be no video this time. Few in Chicago expect accountability.

In a city like Chicago, those with mental health issues are particularly vulnerable to police violence; since Mayor Rahm Emanuel closed half of the public mental health clinics in 2012, police are our mental health first responders. Sins Invalid, a disability justice-based performance project, issued a statement on police violence last year suggesting that “disabled people who are autistic, who are deaf, who live with mental health impairments, or cognitive impairments, epilepsy or movement disorders, are at highest risk of being assaulted by police”.

This is corroborated by an analysis conducted by the Washington Post this June. It’s important to add the word black to disabled people. In general, black people are at the highest risk of dying at the hands of the police.

Given these statistics – and the recent incident in Chicago – some might wonder whether it is best to avoid calling the police altogether. Yet, for many black people, law enforcement is ever-present in our overly surveilled neighborhoods. We don’t have to call them to encounter them. They are already here and always ready to harass, target and kill us.

Black residents of Chicago are also suffering from more than just police violence. As Joao Vargas writes: “Police brutality is just one aspect of a constellation unendingly generating anti-black forces.” Black communities have been and continue to suffer from overall divestment and neglect. Our politicians seem content to leave black people to die.

This was the conclusion reached by Anna Jones. This summer, the 36-year-old mother, took part in a 34-day hunger strike to protest against the closing of Dyett high school. Dyett was the last open-enrollment public high school in Chicago’s historic Bronzeville community. After the first 18 days of the strike, Chicago Public Schools announced that Dyett would reopen as an arts-based school rather than as the green technology one demanded by the hunger strikers.

Jones told the Chicago Reader: “I hated to end the strike because I didn’t want the mayor or the aldermen to feel like we were giving up. But we had to end it because we knew that the mayor would leave us out there to die.”

These words explain so much of what we face in Chicago in this historical moment.

To protect the lives and futures of black Chicagoans we need more than just changes in policing. We need to address structural and systemic oppression; that involves securing a living wage and guaranteed jobs; keeping our schools public and stopping closures and speeding up decarceration by ending things like cash bail.

To prevent these kinds of deaths from happening again, we will need community-based mental health services and to create alternatives outside of police to respond to crises. We also will need accountability, which is why local activists and organizers are calling for Rahm Emanuel’s resignation and that of Cook County state’s attorney Anita Alvarez.

We understand that all of these solutions are interconnected; that they are essential to living lives free from violence and are critical to our liberation.

Extrajudicial killing of black people is the norm, not the exception. The stories bleed and blend into each other, colorless. Another day, another death to absorb and many are numb. Words are achingly insufficient in the face of so much brutality – now is the time for actions.

6WvmTuql.jpg

New York City, US.A protester shouts anti-police slogans during a demonstration in Manhattan after a grand jury cleared two Cleveland officers of the fatal shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice. Photograph: Eduardo Munoz

mSdSolil.jpg

Ahmedabad, India.A boy pushes a handcart carrying his sibling on his way to collect drinking water from a public tap. Photograph: Ajit Solanki

slAUTH1l.jpg

York, England.Workers from a taxi firm leave via the rear exit of a neighbouring wine bar with a teapot and three cups of tea, through the floodwaters from the rivers Foss and Ouse, after they burst their banks.Photograph: Justin Tallis

Wta6AqBl.jpg

Oberstdorf, Germany.A paraglider prepares to land at a stadium before a ski jumping event during the Four Hills tournament.Photograph: Christof Stache

Wishing you all a great Tuesday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! 8dOmi6C.gif

ange1 avatar
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 08:40
Author: ModeratorET lover
Hello Thalestris thank you for the posts, there awesome as always :) and wish you a wonderful Wednesday :)

Dam yes so sad to hear about Lemmy ( RIP ) his music will live on forever :)

Just thought i would add about all the flooding in the UK i feel so sorry for those poor people, it just keeps happening over and over and at this time of the year even harder. Another storm hit yesterday with more rain. Wow will these poor people ever recover, they seem to get back on their feet then more rain comes. My thoughts and prayers to all affected

Thalestris avatar
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 18:10
ange1 wrote:
Hello Thalestris thank you for the posts, there awesome as always :) and wish you a wonderful Wednesday :)

Dam yes so sad to hear about Lemmy ( RIP ) his music will live on forever :)

Just thought i would add about all the flooding in the UK i feel so sorry for those poor people, it just keeps happening over and over and at this time of the year even harder. Another storm hit yesterday with more rain. Wow will these poor people ever recover, they seem to get back on their feet then more rain comes. My thoughts and prayers to all affected

Hi ange, yes I've been following the news in Uk, this is really disturbing indeed.. Storm Frank: more floods expected as gales and rain batter Britain and Ireland. This new century is going to be the century of the climate refugees and war refugees I'm afraid and hopefully, it will be also the century of solidarity. So today, well, I was thinking about something more cheerful, a portrait of a talented young lady for instance that I've discovered in "The Knick" probably my favorite tv show this year. I've added a few pics and unfortunately, I don't have new movie trailers, but I do have an unusual wildlife video , so let's go !

V7fn7rrl.png

She's the actress daughter of rock legend Bono, who has been directed by Spielberg and had a close encounter with Clive Owen.

When Eve Hewson left her native Dublin, aged 18, to study acting at the prestigious Tisch School of the Arts in New York, her parents decided to relocate too. 'I didn’t invite them; they just came,’ she laughs, rolling her pale blue eyes. 'My sister had moved here a year earlier, to study at Columbia, and I don’t think my mum could cope with losing two kids to the US.

So they conveniently decided to renovate the house and had to be out of it for a year.’ It’s not the sort of transatlantic transplant every family could make. But then, the Hewsons are not every family. Eve’s parents are the activist and fashion-label founder Ali Hewson and her musician and philanthropist husband, Paul – also known as Bono.

In spite of their wealth and status, however, the Hewsons didn’t spoil their second-born daughter when they decamped to NYC alongside her. While her parents and two younger brothers spent that year in the penthouse apartment they bought from Steve Jobs, on the 27th floor of the San Remo building overlooking Central Park, Eve lived like any other student, in a shared dorm room downtown.

'But I did go over after class and eat real food, rather than peanut butter from a jar,’ she admits. Didn’t she crave the freedom of finally being cut loose, unmonitored, off the parental leash, though?

'There was one time that I went to a party and my mum was there, and I was like, “Urgh, I’m trying to live my life in New York and my mother’s here,”’ she mock-laments. 'But my mum’s actually pretty cool – I’d prefer to go out with her than almost anybody else.’

Her father, she says, is similarly good company. 'My dad said he figured out that in order to have a good relationship with your kids, you have to be more fun than them. And it’s true,’ she insists. 'My parents are way more fun than me and my siblings. We’re always like, “What restaurant are you going to? Whose party is that? Can we hang out with your friends?”’

Now 24, Eve is making her name very much in her own right, with both a Sky Atlantic series, The Knick – directed by Steven Soderbergh and due to start its second season in January – and Bridge of Spies, a Steven Spielberg film arriving in cinemas at the end of the month. The former is set in 1900 at the fictitious Knickerbocker Hospital in New York and stars Clive Owen as a brilliant surgeon, Dr John Thackery, who is also hopelessly addicted to cocaine and opium.

In what she calls her 'first big project’, Eve plays Lucy Elkins, a wide-eyed young nurse from West Virginia. She falls for Thackery, and steals and administers drugs for him – directly into Owen’s penis in one early and memorable scene. 'I thought nothing could be scarier than that… then season two came along,’ says Eve. And while it may well have made her the envy of women the world over, her first, somewhat sordid, sex scene with Owen was terrifying too.

I remember thinking, no one is treating this like it’s a big deal. Is no one worried for me?’ she admits. 'And then we did it, and I realised it’s not a big deal at all. It looks real, but that’s nothing like what is actually going on.’ We meet for lunch on a Friday afternoon in Manhattan’s West Village.

It was the ultimate goal in my career in many ways, to work with Steven Spielberg
Eve Hewson

Petite and extremely pretty, with dark hair, pale skin and enviable cheekbones, she is unmistakably Irish. Six years in the US may have added a mid-Atlantic twang to her accent, but have not affected her endearing volubility and eagerness to entertain. 'There’s something about the Irish – everyone is a storyteller,’ she observes.

Her current big-screen role, meanwhile, is in the Cold War drama Bridge of Spies, alongside Tom Hanks as her father. Set in Brooklyn in 1957 and based on real events, the film stars Hanks as James B Donovan, a lawyer tasked with negotiating the release of a US pilot in exchange for a Russian spy.

His wife and family, including Eve as his teenage daughter, Carol, are caught up in the backlash as Donovan is threatened and intimidated for cooperating with the Communists.

Hewson’s role is a supporting one, but allowed her to work with Spielberg, a childhood dream come true. 'It was a total head-spin,’ she beams. 'E.T. was the film that made me fall in love with movies.

When I was a kid, I cut my hair off and made my parents call me Elliott for about two years.'It was the ultimate goal in my career in many ways, to work with Steven Spielberg,’ she continues. 'And then that happened very soon.’ Both Hanks and Spielberg are 'low-key guys’, she says. 'They make you feel comfortable, like you’ve known them for years. But then you’re looking at these two faces that you’ve idolised your whole life, and it’s just a really surreal thing.’

Hewson’s off-duty style has a definite rock-star edge to it: skinny jeans, plaid shirt, leather biker jacket, black nail polish. Did she ever, I wonder, consider following her father into a career in music instead? 'I did think maybe I was going to be a musician,’ she nods. 'But I didn’t have the discipline for it.’ She is, however, clearly a natural-born performer, and admits to a weakness for karaoke, even though, 'people assume that I’ll be able to sing, and then are wildly disappointed when they hear me,’ she says.

Born Memphis Eve Sunny Day Hewson (her parents soon dropped the 'Memphis’ for fear of bullying), she attributes her youthful obsession with E.T. – and with film in general – to growing up in the stunning but sleepy Killiney Bay, on the coast south of Dublin. 'There wasn’t a whole lot of things to do at the weekend.

So we would usually just have our friends over and go down to Xtra-vision [the local video shop] and get a movie,’ she shrugs. It was a former tutor (and aspiring film-maker), Erica Dunton, who first introduced her to acting. While for most of the year Eve attended the local college, when U2 went on tour, the family would travel with the band for months at a stretch, meaning Eve and her three siblings – sister Jordan, now 26, and brothers Elijah, 16, and John, 14 – were privately tutored on the road.

'On one tour, when I was 15, my sister and I were just obsessed with Kings of Leon, who were the support band, and would skulk around their dressing room, like, “Heyyyy,”’ she laughs, miming a coy, flirtatious wave. 'So Erica would try to distract us with movies.

We made a short film [Lost and Found], which we were just supposed to work on with her, but she put us in it.’ Two years later, when Dunton was no longer tutoring the sisters but making films full time, she offered Eve another, larger, role, in The 27 Club, a film she wrote and directed.

'When I went away to North Carolina to shoot that, that was when I realised, oh, this is definitely what I want to do,’ Eve remembers. Her parents, however, were less than enthusiastic about her career ambitions. 'They didn’t try to stop me, but they were vocal about its downsides – the fact that you get judged every day, particularly as a woman, for the way that you look, and that it’s not an easy life,’ she says.

'They were trying to prepare me for rejection. A lifetime of it. And even now, when I do get rejected, I call them and I cry on the phone, and they’re like, “Well, we told you not to do it,”’ she says, merrily. Kings of Leon backstage access aside, hers seems to have been a very solid, down-to-earth upbringing for the offspring of a global superstar.

We didn’t grow up caring about the flashy things; my parents are not very scene-y,’ she says. 'They have the same group of friends that they’ve had since secondary school.’ Bono and Ali met at 13 years old – at the same school where he met his U2 bandmates – and they began dating at 15.

'So we grew up in this very tight tribe, and then they all had kids, and those kids are my best friends. And lots of us have moved here and live near one another in Brooklyn now.’ Eve lives in the hipster hotbed of Williamsburg, around the corner from sister Jordan, who is involved with a tech start-up firm. Tonight, Eve tells me, they and their tribe of Irish expats will be congregating at her apartment to drink red wine and watch this week’s episode of The Knick together.

We segue into a lively discussion of the differences between Irish and American men. 'I had to get used to American guys telling me that I was beautiful. Irish guys are, like, “You look horrible today; would you want to go out later?”’ Eve was previously in a long-term relationship with the American actor James Lafferty, whom she met while filming The 27 Club, but is now happily single.

'I’m 24,’ she says. 'And I travel so much; I can’t commit to anybody.’ But the gypsy, on-the-road aspects of her upbringing must have been good preparation for the itinerant life of an actor, I suggest. 'Oh yeah, it feels normal to me,’ she nods. 'But it can get lonely.’

She found Los Angeles, where she decamped for six months after drama school, particularly lonely. 'It was horrible, I hated it,’ she says, vehemently. 'I just felt really isolated. I wasn’t having enough human interaction, and I felt that my acting got boring, that I got boring. Because I felt so out of place. ’Fortunately, while in LA, she auditioned for The Knick, which brought her back to her beloved New York – where, after six years in the city, she’s very settled. 'But Dublin is still home,’ she says.

She’ll be heading back there for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas. Meanwhile, she’s in a spot of limbo work-wise, waiting to hear if The Knick will be commissioned for a third season, and when her next film, Robin Hood: Origins – in which she will play Maid Marian – will begin filming.

'But I really want to do some comedy after that,’ she enthuses. 'And an action film. And I want to dance. And I want to do something really dark and psychological.’ That’s quite a range of roles, I note. 'Yes,’ she laughs. 'I’d like to shoot guns and dance and make some people laugh. And I want to do some f—ed up s—t that you won’t be able to forget when you go to sleep at night.’ 

TbVICvJl.jpg

Burundi president threatens to fight African Union peacekeepers.Pierre Nkurunziza says arrival of 5,000 peacekeepers after months of violence would be seen as attack on country and violation of its borders.

nNEylV1l.jpg

Lyme Regis, UK.Waves crash over the harbour as Storm Frank begins to batter the UK on its way towards already flood-hit areas.Photograph: Andrew Matthews

pzUXfcGl.jpg

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.People participate in a parade paying tribute to Yemoja, female god of the sea, in Copacabana Beach. Photograph: Antonio Lacerda

QtVvgcnl.jpg

Changchun, China.Workers shape a huge snow sculpture at a park in Jilin province where over 200 snow sculptures are on display. Photograph: Zhang Nan

So I wish you a great Wednesday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! I'll try to pop in here tomorrow and make a short post, you all take care and stay safe !
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 17:24
Hi everybody ! So here we are on the 31st um.. Well ,what a year ! So I woke up this morning and it was warm here again.. Just too warm really, the dandelions are blooming, can you believe it ? And I was thinking about Gael Garcia Bernal, absolutely no idea why.. And at lunch time, I checked the news and I found this itw / portrait of him, yes something fresh for a change, I just love that guy really, a beautiful soul, a generous heart. So that will be my choice for today, because I still want to think that we, human beings, we will manage to live together next year, we have to, for all those kids ! I've added a few pics, and my apologies to all the movie trailers addicts, it seems that we'll have to wait for next year now.. So here we go ! Ha yes, I forgot to say, thank you ettv for uploading "Mozart in the Jungle" (with Gael Garcia Bernal) hurray !!!! VpOh6ca.gif

460FkAzl.png

Gael García Bernal: ‘Donald Trump calls Mexicans rapists and drug dealers. ​It’s hate discourse’
From Che Guevara to the iconoclastic conductor of Mozart in the Jungle, the Mexican star is no stranger to playing fiery revolutionaries. Now he’s ready to rise up against a certain ‘ignorant’ US presidential candidate

It’s not every day you meet a freedom fighter in the garden at the Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills, politely telling an assistant he needs more water, and to take his meetings outdoors instead of in that stuffy air-conditioned suite, but here he is, Che Guevara. All right, so it’s actually Gael García Bernal, the actor who has played Che twice; once in a TV miniseries, and then in the more famous film The Motorcycle Diaries – but he does have something of the charming revolutionary about him in real life. He is immediately warm and welcoming, with an enormous smile and a friendly, gentle hand on my arm that steers me to my seat.

I could write myself straight into Pseuds Corner trying to do justice to the penetrating depth of his green eyes, so let’s just say the man has presence, as you may have noticed if you saw him in Y Tu Mama Tambien, the Mexican coming-of-age movie about two boys on the road with an older woman. That film threw him into the global spotlight when it was nominated for best original screenplay at the Academy Awards in 2001.

He is also deeply political: within minutes of beginning the interview he is talking, softly, about uprisings in Monterrey, in his home country of Mexico, directed at government corruption, and the documentary he made about the deaths of exploited women at the border.

The 37-year-old is here really, though, to talk about his TV show, the second season of which is streaming on Amazon Prime now, in which he plays a different kind of freedom fighter: the classical music sort. That might sound initially unlikely, but the history of music is the history of revolutions too, and Mozart in the Jungle contains a whiff of that.

In essence, it’s a hipster comedy, set in New York, where Bernal plays Rodrigo, the mysterious Latin American conductor who takes over the helm of the fictional New York Symphony orchestra and sets the town alight with gossip and overturned conventions.

He brings a parrot to work, plays Mahler on wine glasses, shags his assistant behind the stage and misses a meeting because he’s lost in deep thoughts about musical genius. The classical music community is instantly divided between those who love him and those who loathe him.

The show doesn’t take itself too seriously, though, and is also full of Brooklyn parties, and sexy late-night hook-ups. Bernal has just been nominated for the best TV actor Golden Globe, while the all-star cast also includes Saffron Burrows, Malcolm McDowell and Lola Kirke, with Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman writing much of the script.

The lead character is based on the conductor Gustavo Dudamel, who rose through the Venezuelan Sistema youth orchestras to lead the LA Philharmonic, and to be nicknamed the Dude. There’s no tension between the real conductor and the actor, though – the pair met up during the filming and even shot a scene, conducting together at the Hollywood Bowl, for series 2. Bernal seems genuinely excited that he had to learn so much classical music for the part – he has two small children, Lazaro and Libertad, with his ex-partner, Argentinian actor Dolores Fonzi, and now plays them Beethoven’s 9th symphony every week. “The kids run around, and I draw them the place in the air where the bass comes in – it’s so much fun. Tchaikovsky is great for kids, too; very playful. I really do recommend this to all parents in the world,” he says, his broad smile growing ever broader. He has also started listening to Khachaturian, Bartók and Rautavaara, “but I haven’t even started on Bach yet. I’m saving him up.”

In Mexico, Bernal was famous long before the rest of the world cottoned on. His mother, Patricia Bernal, was an actress and a model, and his father, José Ángel García, an actor and director. Soon he had a stepfather, too – the cinematographer Sergio Yazbek.

The young Gael first appeared on TV as a baby, and at 11 he got a part in a telenovela (soap opera) starring Salma Hayek. Three years later, he made a kids’ show with Diego Luna, who would go on to be his co-star in Y Tu Mama Tambien, where drugs and lust and repressed feelings led their characters to discover each other in a very different, more adult, light.

But between the soap operas and that movie, Bernal came to London to study acting at the Central School of Speech and Drama at the age of 19, the first Mexican accepted on to the programme. Things quickly got complicated, giving him his first taste of being a poor foreigner. He shared a bedroom and worked illegally by night at a bar in Islington, “which is what everybody does – the system makes you do things that are illegal. You can’t be happy in a place like London when you don’t have money.”

He had been an excellent scholar in Mexico City, gaining an international baccalaureate. But in London he felt his teachers were more interested in trying to make him sound British than in actually teaching him to act. “They were concerned a lot about the way that I delivered the words, and I was like, ‘This is not my first language.’

“There was an assumption that you were there because you wanted to work on the British stage – but I’m not able to do a British accent on stage. Theatricality is a concept. It’s not a specific language.”

He did learn some useful tools, though, and headed home, from where he would work with directors Pedro Almodóvar, Michel Gondry and Alejandro González Iñárritu, and sing on the Devendra Banhart song Cristobal. He took on parts in English-language films, and was nominated for a Bafta in 2005. In short, he became hugely successful, on a level that drama school had not prepared him for at all. His instructors were later forced to agree that they had been wrong.

Bernal remembers getting into conversation with them six or seven years after he had left the school. “[One of the directors] said: ‘Man, we have to apologise.’ I was like, ‘Why?’ ‘Yeah, because we were failing you because of who you were. And we were not teaching you theatre. We were teaching you how to act in English.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, you bastards!’ I was getting bad grades and almost not passing, really.”

Yet he never moved to Los Angeles, something I find quite telling, because most actors who make it in Hollywood tend to give in and base themselves there eventually. Although the new show was shot in New York, Bernal is still based between Buenos Aires, with his children, and Mexico City. I ask if he minds that the show seems to give his character a rather generalised Latino identity – sometimes he’s in a Venezuelan arepa bar in New York, sometimes there are Mexican tacos, sometimes he’s soundtracked by Brazilian samba. Should an enormous continent be lumped together like that?

“Well, in the second series you find out that he’s Mexican, which clarifies it. But I wanted all that colour – it was my idea to go to an arepa bar. He drinks mate [tea], and he is a very Latin American character. And these young cosmopolitan characters travel the whole world anyway,” he insists.

Bernal has long been politically active – he took part in peaceful protests in the Chiapas uprising as a child, he works with Amnesty International, he directed the documentary Who Is Dayani Cristal?, about a difficult immigrant journey. He has said that immigration is “the essence of being human”. So I wonder how he feels about the treatment of Mexicans overseas. Because the truth is that, in swanky LA hotels such as this, they are usually the ones cleaning, cooking and labouring behind the scenes, not getting the VIP treatment. California is propped up by its half-invisible Latino underclass, who are still the butt of Hollywood jokes.

I tell him that, only the night before, I had been to a standup comedy night down the road, organised by Judd Apatow, where one of the acts joked about telling her kids that if they did badly in school they’d have to work alongside the Mexicans. He shrugs, his face glossed over diplomatically, like he’s heard it all before and can’t say anything. But then Donald Trump comes up in conversation, and he admits that he can’t shrug about that any more.

“I mean, he called Mexicans rapists and drug dealers. How closed-minded and fucking ignorant is that? At first, you don’t listen, but then it reaches a point where you go, OK, now he’s created exactly what he maybe wanted to, which is that people are angry. I’m upset. I’m upset if I listen to anybody talk like that. We started to give Donald Trump so much space, and we started to validate his opinion, as if it’s like, ‘You know, it’s a valid opinion.’ No, it’s not valid. It’s hate discourse, and what follows next is genocide or civil war. I mean, that’s how it begins.”

I ask if he really means genocide, and he nods. Yet he is also still, somehow, smiling, perhaps because he is so proud of his country, and enjoys talking about it.

“Have you been to Mexico?” he asks me. “It’s so much fun. So much fun. Yes, the politics is corrupt, and I used to think it was machiavellian too – astute and with malice. No, it’s actually just inept. There’s no justice. But the government doesn’t represent Mexican society, which is very heterogeneous, and which is, right now, building up a strong critical mass. There is something very exciting happening. People feel very able to change things.”

He says he can prove this with the responses to the documentary film festival he set up 10 years ago, Ambulante, which travels through 16 Mexican cities for a few months each year, and which has shown him that there is a huge appetite for intellectual debate. He doesn’t just screen them – with Diego Luna, his longtime co-star, he set up Canana Productions, to produce them. He says he didn’t miss a day of Ambulante for the first five years, “because it’s unlike any festival of its kind. I go to an outdoor screening and see hundreds of thousands of people who have come to them, and all of their questioning, and I just think, which country goes and sees documentaries the way that we do?”

Not a country run by Donald Trump, that’s for sure. Perhaps America would like to take on a more considerate revolutionary, such as Gael García Bernal, instead.

hQCL1zgl.jpg

'Historic' flooding in Missouri and Illinois leaves at least 18 dead.Water levels are expected to exceed those of the catastrophic 1993 floods as the National Guard is called in, roads are closed and sewage leaks into waterways.

W1lJXSll.jpg

UK floods claim first fatality as kayaker found dead in Scotland.Body recovered near Inverness as Scotland bears brunt of latest deluge, with power cuts and homes evacuated. Dumfries, UK. A woman sits inside a Chinese restaurant watching floodwater race by the window after heavy rainfall brought by Storm Frank

MrnCwGhl.jpg

BP evacuates North Sea oilfield after unmanned barge drifts nearby. More than 200 workers evacuated from drilling platform as vessel breaks moorings in stormy seas and floats towards Valhall oilfield

lIkXnPBl.jpg

Istanbul, Turkey.A man and his dog enjoy a snowy day by the Bosphorus. Photograph: Tolga Bozoglu

So what am going to wish you today um? Well, let's all forget our issues, the violence & the misery of the world and where ever you live & you are, well, let's pretend that we live in a perfect world at least for 48 hours ! So have fun, enjoy and stay safe ! o3XD5hD.gif and I'll be back in here when I can think straight again, because we certainly party hard in France oh my...
ange1 avatar
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 19:25
Hi Thalestris and thank you again for the awesome posts. I agree it is nice to put things aside and enjoy ourselves for the last hours of 2015 :) I wish you and everyone a Brilliant New years, lots of fun for all those going out or partying and stay safe :) xx
ange1 avatar
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 22:07
Thought i would add this Trailer in :) aww remember watching the cartoon many years ago. Lovely story by Roald Dahl. I think it should be pretty good since Director Steven Spielberg has taken this on board. Can't wait to see it :)

Thalestris avatar
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 16:17
Hi ange and Happy New Year ! I hope that you had a wonderful New Year's Eve ? And thanks for posting again the trailer, it's true that I post most of them just once and we do forget them after a while .. Just too many really.. And today, um, well, it's still quiet, and I'll give some time to all our ET friends to recover from the festivities so let's say that it's a peaceful post just to wish you all a great week end ! So I've found this itw :
GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE AWAKENS By SAMUEL L. JACKSON and after that I've added a few pics and a few trailers. So let's go !

Pq5CaXVl.png

On Game of Thrones, Gwendoline Christie plays Lady Brienne of Tarth, an honest, loyal, compassionate, shit-kicking, badass hero. Introduced in the show's second season, Brienne is a noblewoman who has always been mocked and marginalized for her stature. She finally finds acceptance amongst the followers of Renly Barathean (or at least Renly himself), one of three hopeful kings in Westeros. He welcomes her into his king's guard, an honor exclusive to males, as a proper knight. Then he is murdered by a whispy black shadow bearing the face of his brother and it all goes to hell.

Although the show can get pretty brutal (it's not afraid to kill off major characters and there are some pretty horrific rape scenes), Brienne brings out the humanity in other characters. One of the most interesting relationships on the show was between Brienne and Jaime Lannister, a man known throughout Westeros for killing a king and sleeping with his twin sister.

But Christie is more than just the character that made her famous. Over the last three years, the 35-year-old Sussex, England native has become something of a fashion icon: she's modeled in shows for Vivienne Westwood and Iris Van Herpen, and is frequently pictured in the creations of London designer Giles Deacon. Next week she will be propelled into the world of super-fans through her role as Captain Phasma in Star Wars. It is only Christie's fourth feature film after Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and The Zero Theorem, and last month's The Hunger Games: Mockingjay—Part 2.

Here, Christie talks to her friend Samuel L. Jackson, who has appeared in a few Star Wars films himself.

SAMUEL L. JACKSON: Where are you?

GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE: I'm in Belfast, filming a new series of Game of Thrones. My plane was delayed for two hours and then I had a self-tape to do that needed to be in two days ago. [laughs] It's been action-packed. Where are you Sam, where are you?

JACKSON: I'm in L.A. for now, but I'm on my way to an airport in half an hour to get back to Hawaii to go back to filming King Kong.

CHRISTIE: Oh wow! What's Hawaii like?

JACKSON: It's hot and beautiful. It's the opposite of where you are.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] Basically, yeah. But Belfast has it's own special charms, which I like.

JACKSON: I know. I want to be there. I think I'm coming there at some point to do The Blob next year.

CHRISTIE: You need to get in touch with the set production and do a set visit. I'm serious about this. I'm willing to fly in and give you that tour. What about July?

JACKSON: July might be possible because I may still be in Europe. I'm supposed to start another movie that shoots in London and Denmark and Sofia.

CHRISTIE: Sam, you don't stop. What is the secret of your non-stopness?

JACKSON: I just love doing what I do, so I got to get out and do it. It's interesting because we were filming one of those actor's roundtable things for Variety or somebody, and Will Smith was talking about how he just decided he didn't want to act for four years. How do you make that decision?

CHRISTIE: How did he make that decision?

JACKSON: He said he felt like he had done everything, he had peaked as an actor, there weren't anymore challenges for him, he had accomplished everything. I was like, "really?"

CHRISTIE: So he just wanted to get back to being him?

JACKSON: And to connect to the world in another way.

CHRISTIE: I can understand that, but I don't ever want to stop working.

JACKSON: I can't get to not getting up and creating...which will lead me to my first question: When did you decide you wanted to be this thing that you are? I read you wanted to be a fashion designer? Or you just wanted to be in the fashion world?

CHRISTIE: I never wanted to be a fashion designer, although there is a book somewhere of fashion design I did for a collection when I was seven years old. I always wanted to be an actor. I did dance; I started doing ballet at the age of five and I loved it. When I got a little bit older, maybe seven, I started doing gymnastics. I did rhythmic gymnastics and I absolutely adored it. I was in the squad for Sussex. I wasn't stupendous, but it was something that I was good at and I really loved the combination of discipline and expression. That, to me, was just dreamy.

JACKSON: The aspect of being somebody else?

CHRISTIE: Totally. The freedom to be someone else entirely and be different versions of something. That's what I loved and I loved watching movies and I loved watching television, I loved reading books. That kind of escapism into another world was my favorite thing.

JACKSON: Where were you?

CHRISTIE: I grew up in Sussex, in the countryside kind of in the middle of nowhere, and this is in the days pre-internet. Although, I know people struggle to think that there was such a world, but Sam, you and I remember it, when it was tough to get information. I relied on—because I watched television avidly from about six or seven and watched movies avidly—what came my way. I remember reading about Lee Strasberg and watching Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront and watching Marilyn Monroe in Bust Stop and being really arrested by those performances.

JACKSON: Why did you go to Drama Centre as opposed to RADA or some other place? How did you make that decision?

CHRISTIE: I saw it on television. I remember watching a documentary of Drama Centre, I think I was 12, and it was the most hardcore, demanding, challenging place. The things they would ask of you were so psychologically rigorous, academically rigorous, physically rigorous. It just seemed like the most difficult and challenging training you could possibly have where people are really driven to their limits.

JACKSON: How was your time there?

CHRISTIE: It was tough; it was really tough. They told me I would find it difficult to find work because of the way that I look and they weren't wrong. [laughs] I thought, "Well, I'll prove you wrong" because I genuinely believed that the world was a more diverse place than they perhaps viewed it to be.

JACKSON: How did you feel about that when you finally finished that process and you got to the world? When you looked at the—I don't like to call it competition, but when you went to an audition who was there? Smaller, more petite?

CHRISTIE: [laughs] No one like me.

JACKSON: Exactly.

CHRISTIE: And they were all getting the jobs. [laughs]

JACKSON: How long was it before you got your first job?

CHRISTIE: I was really, really lucky because I have always worked. It hasn't always been consistent, but I have always worked. I think it was my first audition that I went to ever, but I didn't hear anything back for two months. It was a job at the Royal Shakespeare Company with Declan Donnellan to do an ensemble production of Great Expectations in Stratford-upon-Avon, and it was to be a member of the ensemble of that. I got that, but I didn't hear anything for eight weeks so I thought that I probably hadn't gotten that and in the meantime went up for all sorts of television auditions. I was told that that I was too tall. If a part came along where the character was tall, they'd maybe consider me to play that part, but otherwise there was nothing for me. I heard that a lot and I just sort of thought, like I did before, the world was an even more interesting place than the people who were making the decisions were perhaps interpreting it to be.

JACKSON: So is that when you got back to the place where you thought, "Maybe I need to do something else?"

CHRISTIE: I had long spells of unemployment. Before Game of Thrones, I only did theater work really. I had done lots of theater and I really wanted to do screen work. I said to my agent, "Look, I really want to do screen work and I want to concentrate on that now" and he said, "Well, it's going to be tough for you." Ten months went by without anything, with no auditions, nothing at all. Friends were saying to me, "Do you think you want to consider something else?" [But] that was never, never an option for me. I was almost aghast that they could think such a thing.I don't know if you ever felt this way Sam because I think you always, always work.

JACKSON: Once you settle and you start doing something else to augment what you want to do, you end up doing that settle thing. So that was never an option for me. I built sets, I hung lights, I did all kinds of stuff to stay in a theatrical situation so when my audition time came, nobody was asking me, "Well, who's going to wait my tables?" I never did any of that. I was always in the theater—I might have been backstage or up in the rafters somewhere, but I was there. Somebody would say, "Good luck," not "When are you going to be back?"

CHRISTIE: Yeah, exactly.

JACKSON: Simon Callow, that's your mentor? Why him?

CHRISTIE: It all came from when I was at drama school. We had to do a production week for the third years, so the end of each term the first years had to do something. I built stages and I did stage management—I think I built the sets twice, I happened to be good with a drill, which is a talent I didn't know I had. But I got to do box office in first term, which meant doing the box office with the school secretary, who is a very educated, brilliant woman with a brilliant mind and she also had been an actress. I wanted to impress because I felt I had very little to offer. I lied and I said I loved filing and we had a whole conversation about that. About a month later she rang me—Simon Callow went to Drama Centre London—and she said "Simon Callow needs someone to file his 4,000 compact discs and I thought you'd be the perfect person to do that." As it turned out, we lived around the corner from each other. So I organized his 4,000 compact discs—mainly classical, very esoteric. I'd always loved his work, loved his books, and I completely and utterly fell in love with him. I did a good job on the filing. He had two boxer dogs, and I grew up with a boxer dog, so I started being a dog walker as well. He got me to compile his autobiography. I just became kind of a fixture for the next eight years and he mentored me. He'd come and see me in absolutely everything I was in. He would give me very, very honest feedback and he would throw books at me and scream at me about my lazy and disorganized mind. He was a great inspiration and told me to be an artist and to never, ever, ever give up. I was hugely lucky because I admired him so greatly to have someone in my life who was successful, who had real integrity, who was telling me to be myself. He was one of the first actors to be open about his sexuality from the second his career started and he inspired me and taught me to be bold about who I am and not to apologize for myself. Through all those spells of ups and downs, to have someone of that caliber to be there, to say, "I believe in you," that's very rare.

JACKSON: And what's Terry Gilliam's influence? Is he the only director that you've had multiple projects with other than the people that you've worked with on the show?

CHRISTIE: In terms of films, yes. Terry Gilliam gave me my first ever screen work, I did The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus with him and I watched his films growing up when I was very, very little. I watched Time Bandits obsessively and Baron Munchuasen, Brazil, The Fisher King, all of these movies were very dear to me, so it was a great.

JACKSON: When you work with someone multiple times you find a rhythm with that person, or they know something about you that no one else does that allows you to work with them in a very special and really cool way.

CHRISTIE: Yeah, you know more about that than I do with the number of times you've worked with directors multiple times. From my very limited experience, what I can describe it as is a connection.

JACKSON: I only do that because I'm affordable.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] I don't think you're the only one.

JACKSON: That's one of the most important things that actors don't know about themselves: it helps if you're affordable.

CHRISTIE: Oh my god, yeah. I think that's the guiding light in my career. [laughs] I think that's what Terry identified and connected with me. I'm very affordable.

JACKSON: [laughs] Awesome. There's this quote that says, "There are so many similarities between me and my Game of Thrones character that I really have to work on the differences." What are they? How are you similar to Brienne and how have you created differences?

CHRISTIE: There are some obvious similarities physically: we both have the same stature, she is a character who has felt marginalized due to the way that she looks and she is very androgynous. Those were all things that I could totally understand and connect with. The differences really lay in that before I started Game of Thrones, I was someone who wanted to lie on the sofa and eat chocolates and Brienne is a very physically active character who is incredibly strong, adept, and accomplished. I had to really go there on the physical stuff. I had to really start working out. I lost a lot of weight; I gained a lot of muscle. I had to really learn how to be a badass and do some serious shit kicking.

JACKSON: Well that's understandable. They have to work to make you ugly.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] Oh listen to you. I love it.

JACKSON: You sit in the chair for three hours to make you ugly because you are fucking hot.

CHRISTIE: Ah, that is so nice of you! I'm just not wearing any makeup, that's it. People thinking I'm wearing prosthetics of all sorts, I just don't have any makeup on.

JACKSON: Now to the meat of the subject: Star Wars. I didn't even know you were in Star Wars. I was trying to get over there on that set, I would have run into you. I was coming over there to see if maybe I could audition to be Jedi or something.

CHRISTIE: But hang on, you've already ruled over some Star Wars films, right?

JACKSON: Yeah, a couple.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] I love that, I love how laissez-faire you are about that. "Oh a couple, a couple of Star Wars movies."

JACKSON: Are you a Jedi?

CHRISTIE: You know I can't answer questions like that—

JACKSON: Why not?

CHRISTIE: What I can tell you—

JACKSON: Do you have a lightsaber? You're either a Jedi or a dark side bad person.

CHRISTIE: Now look, I read that—

JACKSON: You have a lightsaber, which is much lighter than a bronze sword.

CHRISTIE: I cannot confirm or deny that, but what we have seen Captain Phasma with is a blaster.

JACKSON: Okay, alright. I won't ask you about your lightsaber...

CHRISTIE: Look Sam, you know I want to tell you absolutely everything but I just can't.

JACKSON: That's okay, that's okay. Some of us had really dope colored lightsabers, like purple. Like the only the purple lightsaber in the universe.

CHRISTIE: I heard that Ewan McGregor made the noises of the lightsaber while he was doing the fight and they had to get rid of it on the soundtrack, is that true?

JACKSON: It's probably true, yeah, but George never cared how much noise we made, or what was going around us. So the ultimate question for you: You play this warrior fighter so well and so often—like Brienne, a badass—are there any real-life heroes in our modern world that fight for human rights, or worthy causes or any of that stuff that you admire, who do you see as the person that Lady Brienne is?

CHRISTIE: I've always thought Oprah Winfrey—that kind of really strong, pure determination. She's one of those people, absolutely. There's a lawyer called Melanie Hall in the U.K. and she is a brilliant Q.C. with a laser-like mind. Annie Lennox is very committed to creating change and empowering women and making a difference. She's actually set up a charity that I'm involved with called Circle, which is a charity supported by women for women and girls about empowering girls and women and making a real change in the world. Obviously Simon Callow was a real inspiration as well because of his total humanity and support of me, and writing in terms of moral good and artistry and integrity. I should have a proper list of people. I should just have it tattooed on my arm for situations like this. Sam, help me out here.

JACKSON: That was perfect. Now, you are in the most popular show on television on the planet and you guys have very loyal fans, and I'm sure people have asked you to sign things. Do people quote your lines to you?

CHRISTIE: They don't, actually. Maybe I'm going wrong somewhere. Do you think I'm going wrong somewhere?

JACKSON: It'll happen. When people ask you to sign to things, what's the weirdest piece of memorabilia someone's asked you to sign?

CHRISTIE: I think someone once asked me to sign their arm and after I signed it they said they were going to go and have it tattooed. I found that quite overwhelming.

JACKSON: Yeah, I've had that before.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] "Sign my boobs!"

JACKSON: Yes, I've done that.

CHRISTIE: [laughs]

JACKSON: They pull it out, I sign it. That's who I am.

CHRISTIE: Have you signed anything else intimate?

JACKSON: A bum or two.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] Why has no one asked me to sign a bum?

JACKSON: They will. You are now about to enter the realm of fanatics.

CHRISTIE: Can I ask you a question?

JACKSON: Yes.

CHRISTIE: When you did the Star Wars movies you already had a colossal canon of work, but did you notice a change when you started doing the Star Wars movies? Did you notice a change in fan base and the way people kind of responded to you?

JACKSON: Oh yeah, totally. I'm a Jedi, first of all, and I'm the second highest Jedi in the world next to Yoda. You reach a whole 'nother level of fan craziness and worship. If you are a Jedi, just understand something: people are going to be chasing you. The Jedi Council of every city you enter is going to be chasing you. I've been accosted by the Jedi Council in Rio and everywhere else.

CHRISTIE: Wow. What I can tell you is that I am a member of the dark side.

JACKSON: That's good. There's a lot of light out there too. You live in the only country where you can put Jedi on a job application and nobody blinks an eye.

CHRISTIE: [laughs] Have you done that?

JACKSON: No, I'm just telling you that's a legal religion in the U.K. You can put that on there and nobody will think you're crazy.

J7Mc69Nl.jpg

Oiso, Japan.Women ride on a ‘mikoshi’ (portable shrine), as it is carried into the sea during a festival wishing for calm waters and good fortune. Photograph: Yuya Shino

nh2L3wEl.jpg

Dunkirk, France. A man and his dog paddle on a surfboard during the traditional new year’s swimming event Photograph: Philippe Huguen

Wishing you all a great start of the year and a wonderful week end ! wwE1Dge.gif
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 17:41
Hurray ET is working and I'm logged in and I don't have that error .. ! I keep my fingers crossed to be able to make that first post in here in 2016 ... Well, so what's up in the world ? I mean, are they all gone just mad or what .. ? It was actually difficult to make a choice , but in the end, I'll post this article and say hi to our ET friends from Hong Kong. I've added a cartoon, a few pics and only 2 trailers, yeah I know .. I've posted a lot in here, so we have to wait now for some new ones. So let's go !

Hong Kong activist hits out at Beijing in video over missing booksellers
After fifth disappearance, umbrella movement’s Agnes Chow criticises China regime in video that has gone viral

A young pro-democracy activist in Hong Kong has released a video, which has gone viral, attacking Beijing’s campaign of “political suppression” following the disappearances of five booksellers.

Agnes Chow, a 19-year-old student who was a prominent figure during the former colony’s 2014 ”umbrella movement” protests, posted the five-minute video on Facebook on Saturday, three days after a bookshop owner, Lee Bo, became the latest member of Hong Kong’s publishing community to vanish.

By Monday lunchtime Chow’s video – titled “An urgent cry from Hong Kong” and filmed in English – had been viewed more than 820,000 times.

In her video message, Chow, a second-year student at Hong Kong’s Baptist University, hit out at Chinese authorities over the apparent abductions of five booksellers who specialised in tabloid-style tomes about the private lives of Communist party officials.

“I have an important message that I hope to spread to the world,” says Chow, who is also a prominent member of the student protest group Scholarism.

“Unlike mainland China, Hong Kong does not adopt authoritarian governance. Citizens who sell politically sensitive books are not supposed to be suppressed by any threats of disappearance and imprisonment, with the existence of freedom of press and speech.”

Chow recorded the video message after Lee, 65, went missing in Hong Kong last Wednesday.

One of the others who have gone missing, Gui Minhai, 51, was apparently abducted from his beachfront holiday home in Thailand. Supporters suspect Chinese security officials, possibly angered by the publishers’ books, have spirited them into custody in the mainland.

An editorial in the Communist party-controlled Global Times newspaper on Monday lashed out at the booksellers, who, it claimed, “relied on causing trouble in mainland China to survive”. It made no comment on the whereabouts of the missing publishers but said their books were filled with “vicious fabrication”.

Chow said the apparent abduction of Lee Bo called into question the “one country, two systems” formula that guarantees citizens of Hong Kong far greater freedoms than their counterparts in mainland China.

“In the past we were safe because we lived in Hong Kong instead of mainland China,” she said. “However, the circumstances have changed with the abduction.”

Speaking to the Guardian on Monday, Chow said she had made the English-language video in order to raise global awareness of the apparent abductions and what she said was Beijing’s increasing meddling in Hong Kong’s affairs.

“I am really surprised by the huge numbers of views,” she said. “I didn’t really expect so many people to watch my video but I think that it shows [how much] Hong Kong people [care] about this issue.”

She added: “We feel like Hong Kong is becoming more dangerous – more and more dangerous – and [we feel] the erosion of the ‘one country, two systems’ [when] even something like cross-border abduction can happen in Hong Kong.

“Political suppression in Hong Kong didn’t start today but we feel like more and more political suppression will happen after this cross-border abduction.”

At the end of her video, Chow says the disappearance of the five Hong Kong booksellers reminded her of the words of Martin Niemöller, the German pastor who opposed the Nazis.

“First they came for the activists, and I did not speak out because I was not an activist,” Chow says. “Then they came for the journalists, and I did not speak out because I was not a journalist. Then they came for the bookseller, and I did not speak out because I was not a bookseller. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.”

Beijing has not commented so far about the missing publishers. But Hong Kong’s pro-Beijing chief executive, CY Leung, was forced to speak out against Lee Bo’s apparent abduction on Monday amid growing anger from pro-democracy groups.

Leung said it would be “unacceptable and unconstitutional” for mainland security officials to operate in Hong Kong, the South China Morning Post reported. “No other law enforcement agencies, outside of Hong Kong, has such authority,” he said.

Writing in the same newspaper, the columnist Alex Lo said answers were needed. “The midnight knock on the door is not something we have had to worry about in Hong Kong. But if we do now, that would be the end of our way of life,” he said.

Y8hB9UOl.jpg

Saudi Arabia's new flag (Cartoonist :Tomas)
Saudi Arabia executes 47 in mass execution. Bahrain, Sudan and UAE follow Saudis in diplomatic action against Iran. Bahrain tells Iranian diplomats to leave within 48 hours and Sudan says it has severed ties in row over execution of Shia cleric.

6CFRbGOl.jpg

Copenhagen, Denmark.
Passengers have their ID’s checked at the city airport’s train station, the last stop before crossing the Øresund bridge into Sweden. Since it opened in 2000 the bridge, made famous in the Danish TV crime drama, has been an open border but new restrictions have been imposed by Sweden to stem a record flow of migrants. Read more about the restrictions P
hotograph: Khan Tariq Mikkel

6BlI6fpl.jpg

Calimaya, Mexico. Chinelos (traditional costumed dancers) perform in front of San Andrés Ocotlán church as part of continuing festivities to welcome the new year. Photograph: Arturo Hernández

drwNxBll.jpg

Xinjiang, China. A herdsman makes his way through 1-metre deep snow near Hemu village in north-west China’s Xinjiang autonomous region. Photograph: Zhao Ge

Wishing you all a peaceful Monday and good luck for tomorrow ! 8dOmi6C.gif

Thalestris avatar
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 18:15
Hi everybody ! So I was going to make a serious post today and I just had some real sad and personal bad news .. So I obviously can't make a grim post now, so I apologize for those who like politics but, there won't be any today, I do need some wildlife and fun ! A little break and I've found also some new trailers ! So let's go !

krqjk7Ml.jpg

Earth's largest ever ape died out because it refused to eat its greens
Gigantopithecus, which roamed the Earth 100,000 years ago, failed to adapt when climate change affected its favoured diet of fruit

The largest ape to roam Earth died out 100,000 years ago because it failed to adapt to eating savannah grass after climate change affected its preferred diet of forest fruit.

Gigantopithecus – the closest nature ever came to producing a real King Kong – weighed five times as much as an adult man and probably stood 3m (9ft) tall, according to rough estimates.

In its heyday a million years ago, it inhabited semi-tropical forests in southern China and mainland south-east Asia.

Until now, though, almost nothing was known about the giant’s anatomical shape or habits.

The only fossil records are four partial lower jaws, and perhaps a thousand teeth – the first of which turned up in the 1930s in Hong Kong apothecaries, where they were sold as “dragon’s teeth”.

These meagre remains “are clearly insufficient to say if the animal was bipedal or quadrupedal, and what would be its body proportions”, Herve Bocherens, a researcher at Tübingen University in Germany, said.

Its closest modern cousin is the orangutan, but whether Gigantopithecus had the same golden-red hue, or was black like a gorilla, is unknown.

Examining slight variations in carbon isotopes found in tooth enamel, Bocherens and an international team of scientists showed that the primordial King Kong lived only in the forest, was a strict vegetarian and probably wasn’t crazy about bamboo.

That’s when nature, evolution – and perhaps a refusal to try new foods – conspired to doom the giant ape, Bocherens said.

“Due to its size, Gigantopithecus presumably depended on a large amount of food,” he said.

“When during the Pleistocene, more and more forested area turned into savannah landscapes, there was simply an insufficient food supply.”

And yet, according to the study, other apes and early humans in Africa that had comparable dental gear were able to survive similar transitions by eating the leaves, grass and roots offered by their new environments.

But for some reason, Asia’s giant ape – which was probably too heavy to climb trees, or swing in their branches – did not make the switch.

“Gigantopithecus probably did not have the same ecological flexibility and possibly lacked the physiological ability to resist stress and food shortage,” notes the study, which is to be published in a specialist journal, Quaternary International.

Whether the mega-ape could have adapted to a changing world but didn’t, or whether it was doomed by climate and its genes, is probably one mystery that will never be solved.

oG4EGkIl.jpg

Sulawesi, Indonesia. Mount Soputan spews ash into the air during an eruption seen from Silian village. Photograph: Adi Dwi Satrya

3BO3SGil.jpg

Siberia, Russia. Horses gallop through a field outside Malaya Tumna village, with the air temperature at about -24C. Photograph: Ilya Naymushin

41Ss67il.jpg

Michoacan state, Mexico. An American white pelican feeds in the waters of Lake Chapala in Cojumatlán de Regules. Photograph: Hector Guerrero

And what can I say today, well, love as much as you can each other, because it's certainly the lack of love and the poverty, both combined which kill the most these days. Have a great Tuesday and good luck for tomorrow !

Thalestris avatar
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 18:01
Hi everybody , so what was I saying the other day that they were all going mad .. Then again, regarding the dictator in North Korea , it's not exactly a scoop, is it ? But I do feel concerned about this : Cologne inquiry into 'coordinated' New Year's Eve sex attacks. Scores of women say they were sexually assaulted and mugged by groups of men largely of Arab and north African appearance but it's too early to say anything about this, except that it reminds me of some similar attacks that occurred in Egypt during the Arab spring. Anyways, today I noticed this article. I've added a cartoon and a few pics and unfortunately ,nothing new regarding the movie trailers, those are indie movie trailers. Eventually, they'll flow again I'm sure. So let's go.

bn4LeUbl.jpg

Jennifer Lawrence defends charity against anti-abortion campaigners
Actor tells Glamour magazine she accessed birth control as a teenager via Planned Parenthood, and describes clinic shooting as ‘an attack on women’

Jennifer Lawrence has strongly defended Planned Parenthood, the reproductive health organisation that has come under sustained attack from anti-abortion campaigners.

In an interview with Glamour magazine, the Oscar-winning actor, 25, referred to the shooting at a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic last November that resulted in three deaths as “so awful” and said: “It isn’t an attack on abortions; it’s an attack on women.”

She went on to stress how the organisation’s services were vital for her as a teenager with a strict home environment. “My mom was really religious with me when I was young … I wouldn’t have been able to get birth control if it weren’t for Planned P. I wouldn’t have been able to get condoms and birth control and all these things I needed as a normal teenager who was growing up in a Jesus house.”

In the same interview, Lawrence also expanded on previous comments she made about the gender pay gap issue in Hollywood, with an essay in Lena Dunham’s Lenny Letter newsletter.

Analysis Northern Ireland's abortion laws remain restrictive and unclear
Despite moves to clarify conditions under which a termination is legal, many women remain in the dark and are forced to go elsewhere for the proceedure
Read more
She told of her trepidation in getting so involved in the hot-potato issue: “It’s not smart, businesswise, to be opinionated. But then what’s the point in having a voice at all if I’m not going to use it for what I truly believe in?”

However, she joked about voicing an opinion as a woman. “As women we don’t know we’re at a deficit because we have vaginas. It wasn’t until they had a headline like, ‘Even though she’s a woman!’ And I was like, ‘Oh. I didn’t know to be looking out for that.’ [Baby voice] ‘How did this wittle vagina manage that? I carried a whooole movie.’ [Laughs.] ‘How did I do it, getting a period once a month?’”

Lawrence also suggested that the success of the Hunger Games series had altered old-fashioned Hollywood thinking. “I think there was this studio mentality for a long time that women and girls can relate to a male hero, but boys and men can’t relate to a female hero. But that’s simply not true. And so we’ve fortunately proved that.”

cqkoWMrl.jpg

Kim Test
: North Korea nuclear test: regime says it has successfully detonated hydrogen bomb. they have not communicated where it took place but definitely not in the right place. (Cartoonist Gianfranco Uber).

uQphNhdl.jpg

Santiago, Chile. A Mapuche Indian protester shouts at riot police during a rally held in memory of Matias Catrileo, who died during clashes with the police in 2008

CGMnlF1l.jpg

Krasnoyarsk, Russia. Nastya Usachyova and her mother, Natalia, members of the Cryophile winter swimmers club, warm up before plunging into the Yenisei river in Siberia. The air temperature is about -24C
Photograph: Ilya Naymushin.

FMcZDW5l.jpg

Sydney, Australia. A painting by artist Miguel González is seen on the side of a building, as part of the Sydney Street Art Project. Photograph: Steve Christo

Wishing you all a great Wednesday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! 8dOmi6C.gif

ange1 avatar
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05
Hi Thalestris and all... thank you for the awesome post and trailers.

Omg reading the New Year's Eve sex attacks is so frightening :(

I thought i would add that ITV has axed the hit show of Jekyll and Hyde after so many complaints in the first show last October and they are still under investigation.

Fans have apparently been pushing for another series altho i have not seen the show i have heard it is very good. Actually in a way i am glad i have not seen as i think there is nothing worse than watching a good show then suddenly it is axed. Normally because of lower ratings money but with this one complaints. Well my opinion ITV should have showed it at a suitable viewing time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35240275/itv-axes-tv-show-jekyll-and-hyde-after-one-series-following-complaints

Thalestris avatar
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 18:04
ange1 wrote:
Hi Thalestris and all... thank you for the awesome post and trailers.

Omg reading the New Year's Eve sex attacks is so frightening :(

I thought i would add that ITV has axed the hit show of Jekyll and Hyde after so many complaints in the first show last October and they are still under investigation.

Fans have apparently been pushing for another series altho i have not seen the show i have heard it is very good. Actually in a way i am glad i have not seen as i think there is nothing worse than watching a good show then suddenly it is axed. Normally because of lower ratings money but with this one complaints. Well my opinion ITV should have showed it at a suitable viewing time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35240275/itv-axes-tv-show-jekyll-and-hyde-after-one-series-following-complaints

Hi ange, yes those sexual attacks are frightening. And regarding that show, to be honest, I've missed that one, so I can not say anything about it really.. But the cast is good and the trailer seems ok as well, but I agree with you , watching a show which has been axed is a bit depressing indeed.

And today, what's up in the world um, well, I was going to make some kind of David Bowie's special, and I just remembered that he doesn't give interviews anymore so what's the point.. And after that I was thinking about the Golden Globes Awards, but I'm so behind.. And only 3 days left to screen the last ones oh my.. So fortunately, I've found that interesting article, I let you read... I've added a few pics and oh miracle, we have some new movie trailers today !! So here we go !

CIlfFlS.gif

A no-strings basic income? If it works for the royal family, it can work for us all (John O'Farrell)
A living wage for all of us, whether we’re in work or not, could rebalance the economy and create a generation of entrepreneurs

My first response to the notion of a universal basic income (UBI) was: “Well, really. That is never going to happen! I mean, it’s completely unaffordable. I mean, it would be political suicide for any progressive party suggesting it.” And then I may have started to froth at the mouth slightly and ask if it would be paid to refugees.

Yet this year will see a UBI paid to residents of Utrecht and 19 other Dutch municipalities. Everyone will get about £150 a week, whether working or not. The unemployed won’t find themselves penalised for finding work, and the hope is that the state will spend less money snooping on benefit claimants, moving on the homeless or locking up those driven to crime. Advocates of this radical idea are keen to quash any notion that recipients of free money will just use it to lie around all day getting stoned. This is why it is being piloted in Holland.

The idea is so refreshingly contrary to the petty conditionality that is killing the welfare state that it began to fill me with optimism that there may be a few people lying in this political gutter still looking at the stars. Once upon a time, universality was the underpinning principle of welfare. Every mother got child benefit; every child got free school milk, until that was snatched away by … Oh, I can’t remember – I’m not one to bear grudges.

In Britain we’ve already experimented with a system in which one group of people receive a guaranteed income with no obligation to work for it. But what if this was extended beyond the royal family? Imagine now if everyone in the UK started out with a guaranteed minimal amount of money each week. All other benefits would be done away with, along with the stigma and entrapment that came with the old system of welfare (and the expense of policing and administering it).

The idea of the UBI is so contrary to everything that has been drummed into us about preventing the “something for nothing society”, it’s worth advocating it just to see the Daily Mail and Iain Duncan Smith implode with outrage. The predictable argument that will be rolled out is that it will turn the masses from “strivers into skivers”; it will lead to welfare dependency, a lack of initiative and lots of programmes on Channel 5 called Fat Ugly People Spending Your Money on Crisps and Big Tellies.

But in fact it is the current situation that prevents initiative and holds back entrepreneurs. Anyone who ever invented or created anything did so with a modicum of financial security behind them. That’s why so many of our statues are to upper-class white men; that’s why Virginia Woolf needed “a room of her own and £500 a year” (slashed to £27.85 after that spare room fell under the bedroom tax). For centuries we have tapped the potential of only a small proportion of the British people; the rest have been powerless to initiate or discover where their true talents lay. With the UBI, innovators would be given the room to experiment knowing they would still have something to fall back on; it would see more small businesses and less grovelling on Dragons’ Den.

Vitally, it would begin to redress the chronic imbalance in today’s labour market. There’s a reason why call centre workers sound so miserable when they claim to be sharing really exciting news about your phone tariff. Since the decline of the unions, workers have been increasingly powerless to refuse longer hours and less money, with only the food bank to fall back on if they walk away from an exploitative job. With a guaranteed state income to keep the wolf (or Wonga) from the door, employees would regain the bargaining power to demand civilised working conditions and reasonable rates of pay. In a flexible labour market with millions of short-term contracts, this might be a more effective lever than attempting to unionise Uber drivers (whose membership subs would only be undercut by a new union startup operating online).

Meanwhile the rest of us could feel confident that beggars had no reason to approach us on public transport. We wouldn’t have to do that thing where we shake our heads and pretend we haven’t see them at the same time. Overnight, our labyrinthine system of benefits and tax credits would disappear along with an army of benefits snoopers and all the stigma of signing on, with its degrading culture of blame and humiliation for those at the bottom of the pile.

For all the apparent expense of the UBI, we would save the small fortune that the state currently spends mopping up the mess of social problems caused overwhelmingly by chronic poverty.

Of course, there are complex reasons for increasing homelessness, for bulging prisons, for growing mental health problems – but desperate financial pressure is a major factor in all of them. Every decade sees us spending increasing billions trying to tighten the lid of the boiling cauldron. It might be so much cheaper just to turn down the temperature a bit.

82iWMcbl.jpg

Massive natural gas leak in Los Angeles prompts governor to declare emergency.
Jerry Brown calls on officials to ensure gas company plugs leak as campaigners say storage facility is releasing equivalent of 7m cars’ emissions daily.

75GS9SAl.jpg

David Bowie will turn 69 tomorrow and will release his 25th album the same day, Happy Birthday Mr Bowie !

WV6p3Tml.jpg

Kyoto, Japan. Traditional female dancers, or maikos, and performers walk in the street during the new year’s ceremony at the Gion Kobu Kaburenjo Theatre. Photograph: Buddhika Weerasinghe

w9KZYV9l.jpg

Coney Island at night, Brooklyn, New York. Photographer Jeffrey Milstein

Wishing you all a great Thursday morning, afternoon, evening and good luck for tomorrow ! 8dOmi6C.gif

Panerai avatar
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 18:47
Author: Site FriendET junkieET loverKittySunTurtle
Forgive me for taking the liberty, but posting some Bowie just seemed fitting.

David Bowie - Starman

David Bowie - Life on Mars

David Bowie - Heroes

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
Thalestris avatar
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 17:47
Panerai wrote:
Forgive me for taking the liberty, but posting some Bowie just seemed fitting.

David Bowie - Starman

David Bowie - Life on Mars

David Bowie - Heroes

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

Hi Panerai, thanks for the videos ! 8dOmi6C.gif I see that you're a fan as well.. I heard that his new album is fantastic, I can't wait..

And today it's Friday, at last !! It's been a long week.. So this post will be the last post of the week for my part, my brain needs some fresh air a bit. And I'll be probably catching up and screening those movies too before the Golden Globes. So today well, to be honest, since it's the end of the week, I thought that some glamor was a good idea and I've added a few pics and some trailers, so let's go !

TQRG1ekl.jpg

(Rose Levenson (left): ‘Richard Burton looked amazing and Elizabeth Taylor looked stunning.’ Photograph: Mirror Pix)

That’s me in the picture: Rose Levenson meets Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, east London, 1975
I didn’t believe they’d come – Clapton was such a down-and-out area and they were such icons

In 1975, when I was 44, I was working as a playgroup leader at the Pedro Youth Club in Clapton, east London. There were a lot of deprived children in the area, and we had 20 children in the morning and another 20 in the afternoon; it didn’t cost much for them to come, about 20p.

I had already been working for the club around the corner when we found these premises, which had a better hall. It was wonderful for the kids. They used to play, and we’d sit in a circle, sing songs and have juice and fruit. I really enjoyed my job. I lived at the other end of Clapton, on the Webb council estate. The club had things going on in the evenings, too, such as dances, which I used to go to with my husband Stan; all the teenagers would be there.

One day Barry, who ran the club, came up to me and said, “We’re going to have a Christmas bazaar, and you’ll never believe who’s going to open it – Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton!”

I said, “Go away.” I didn’t believe him – Clapton was such a down-and-out area and they were such icons at the time. So we had a £5 bet on whether they would come. I went home to Stan and said, “Can you believe it?” But it turned out that Taylor was a patron of the youth club; apparently she was a childhood friend of one of its founders.

We advertised the bazaar in the local paper and, when the day came, the roads around the area were packed with people; there were even police on horseback. Stan came with me – we got there early and were each given a name badge – and then the car came along, Taylor and Burton got out and they had security people all round them.

As they came up the stairs, we greeted them, and Elizabeth said, “Hi Rose, hi Stan.” I had no idea how she knew our names, but then I remembered our badges. She shook our hands.

He looked amazing and she looked stunning. She was as calm as could be, and was wearing her famous Krupp diamond ring that Richard had bought her. It was so big. She had the most gorgeous eyes I’d ever seen. It was their second marriage; they’d just got married again.

My daughter Jan came, and my sister Phyllis was there, too. Phyllis was very psychic and she said to me, “Their marriage is very fragile at the moment: I can sense it.” They divorced again the following year.

At the bazaar, we were selling children’s clothes and toys, most of it secondhand, and Taylor and Burton walked around, then she picked up a purple dress and said, “I think I’ll buy this for Laela.” Laela [Wilding] was her granddaughter. And then they put loads of notes into the tin. We were gobsmacked. She was absolutely charming and so was he.

His voice made us swoon. Every time he spoke, my sister would say, “Oh my God.” We were in a trance. Then she said, “I now open this bizarre bazaar.”

It was a day I’ve never forgotten. And I did give Barry the £5.

vAO3Diyl.jpg

Three missing as Western Australia bushfire destroys 95 homes. Fire sparked by lightning strike north-east of Waroona has burned through almost 60,000ha and cut off towns

J2RlLgcl.jpg

North Sumatra, Indonesia. Mount Sinabung volcano spews lava and ash during an eruption seen from Tiga Pancur village in Karo. Photograph: Antara Foto

bwxjtfel.jpg

Rajasthan, India. A camel has its fur cut by Japanese hairdresser Megumi Takeich before a festival

wishing you all a wonderful week end and happy screenings, I should be back in here on Monday ! 8dOmi6C.gif

ange1 avatar
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 19:41
Hello Thalestris :) loving the trailers... thank you....especially The Conjuring 2, saw it earlier and got pretty excited lol. I loved the first and judging by the trailer i think Mr Wan will do justice with this too :) and it is great to see Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga back for the second one. I thought they were brilliant in the first movie.

Wish you and all a relaxing Friday night
[Prev]  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46, 47  [Next]
Page 26 of 47   [ 691 posts ]

Forum Search

search in post message
  search in topic subject
Forum

Home - Browse Torrents - Upload Torrent - Stat - Forum - FAQ - Login
ExtraTorrent.cc is in compliance with copyrights
BitCoin: 12DiyqsWhENahDzdhdYsRrCw8FPQVcCkcm
Can't load ExtraTorrent? Try our official mirrors: etmirror.com - etproxy.com - extratorrentonline.com - extratorrentlive.com
2006-2017 ExtraTorrent.cc2