Yeah, the only real control you have is the look of your character when creating itm the name you give your brute and the choosing of which brute you fight next. Everything else is automated. I made a few brutes myself, and fight them when I'm bored and waiting for a movie to finish downloading, or just to have a bit of fun until I find something else to do.
Some tips I can pass on to whoever wants to play and level a bit faster.
1. Don't just fight any brute, look at the stats of your brute and compare therm to the other.
2. You can fight brutes 2 levels lower than your current level and still get full XP.
3. Only brutes you choose to fight gives XP. Brutes that challenges you, doesn't affect your XP.
4. Each brute is allowed 3 fights per day. But you get 6 Fights on the day you create your brute.
5. On day 2, look at your brute's fight results, this will help you choose fights that are easy to win. When brutes challenge you and you see that you beat them, that's a good indication you can beat them again, watch the fight and determine if it was a easy win or not so much. This will help you choose who to fight next.
6. If you're lucky, you will be given a weapon or pet once you create your brute. If not, it is possible you will obtain one when leveling up. Of course if you get one in the first few levels that's a huge plus on your brutes behalf for the early leveling.
7. Skills are also a huge plus, specially at lower levels.
And Last, have fun