Marlena Shaw is a true original with the sensational charm and versatile style. Her performance takes away the boarder which separates jazz, soul, rock, pop and R&B - with competent expressiveness. She also has a natural ability to connect with the audience. It can be said that her amazing talent is best expressed when singing live for the audience. If you have ever experienced her live performance, it is no wonder that her schedule is booked throughout the years.
This album was record live at B Flat, Tokyo, where the tickets were sold out immediately. Marlena Shaw and her trio - Clarence McDonald (p), Jeff Chambers (b) and Ron Otis (ds) - with the guest saxophone player Rickey Woodard fascinates the exited admires with various repertoire; from jazz standards to pop numbers including her hits such as "Don't Ask to Stay Until Tomorrow (Theme from 'Looking for Mr. Goodbar')", "Feel Like Makin' Love" and "Loving You Was Like a Party." Her talent for improvisation and song rendering is never spared during the whole performance. This album is not only the best album that captured her art of the live performance, but also a great selection of her hit numbers which will surely shake your heart.
Recorded live at B Flat, Tokyo on June 28, 2002
Marlena Shaw (vocal)
Rickey Woodard (tenor saxophone)
Clarence McDonald (piano)
Jeff Chambers (bass)
Ron Otis (drums)
1. Ooh Wee?Baby You're the One for Me(Marlena Shaw,Billy Tragesser)
2. Don't Ask to Stay Until Tomorrow -Theme from "Looking for Mr.Goodbar"-(Carol Connors, Artie Kane)
3. Feel Like Makin' Love(Eugene McDaniels)
4. What a Difference a Day Made(Maria Grever, Stanley Adams)
5. Rose Marie(Wilma Callender, Benard Ighner)
6. Until I Met You(Donald Wolf, Freddie Green)
7. 'Round Midnight(Benard Hanighen, Thenolious Monk, Cootie Williams)
8. My Foolish Heart(Ned Washington, Victor Young)
9. Loving You Was Like a Party(Benard Ighner)
It's a must.
Jazz from torrentbox.com